qtopiadesktop and libs

phunni

I am trying to upgrade my instalation of qtopia desktop. When I try to install the rpm I get the following error:

libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 is needed by qtopia-desktop-1.6.0-1

So I dutifully locate an rpm which provides this and attempt to install - and get:

file /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 from install of libstdc++-2.95.2-12mdk conflicts with file from package libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.80mdk

I wondered about removing libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.80mdk and replacing it with libstdc++-2.95.2-12mdk but a lot of apps depend on the former package - does anyone know would this be a safe replacement or would I break half my apps?

which packages are those, are all from mandrake, if so which versions are they. The error message about conflicting files is not enough, you should provide us all the info on what are you trying to do.

In case of unavoidable conflict of packages you can always try an install from source

Are you using rpm -Uvh to upgrade, or trying to install(rpm -ivh)?

I've had that problem trying to install, but upgrade worked.

Installing over a previous version can wreak a lot of havoc with some things. The -U will tell it to upgrade to the new version.

All packages are Mandrake ones - some may be cooker I can't remember.

rpm -Uvh results in the same error.

The package I am trying to install is called:

libstdc++-2.95.2-12mdk.i586.rpm

At least, this is what I want if I want to install the qtopiadesktop rpm.

I cannot find a location for downloading the source for qtopiadesktop - so I can't try to install that from source - and I'm not 100% sure I actually want to install the other package. I only tried because the qtopiadesktop install said I need the files it provided

Try making a symbolic link from libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 to libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 to see if qtopiadesktop will accept that. It probably won't work, but it might. If it doesn't just delete the symlink. If it does, remember that you did it if you do actually want to upgrade later.

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3