Install 10.0

Guest death by M/Soft

Guest death by M/Soft

All i want to do is get mandrake on my newly created pc, problrm iss that it starts up then doesnt find the dvd drive once enter is pressed on the start up screen, or rather says no cd-drive found

Can any one help me get past the problem cos after that ill figure the rest out, and upgrade

Also is it me or is Mandrive going down the same route as Bill Gates group of criminals? :wall:

It sounds like you have sata drives, in which case Mandriva 10 will lose them during install. There was a work-around, but I you should just get a newer version of Mandriva, like 2007. :lol:

I have read a lot of posts lately concerning problems burning cd/dvd's with windows. Frankly, that is all misunderstandings. Burning the disks appropriately works just fine in windows. Please download a newer version and burn it.

I still have a boxed-set of Mandrake 7.0 laying around, but I would never try to install it in my current hardware, unless I just wanted to play hardball!!

Burning the disks appropriately works just fine in windows

yes it does, but not when people do not know how to burn an iso.

(ie burning sonthing.iso to the cd instead of using the right menu

to burn an iso)

This is a common error, and it is better asking asap where the

cd is coming from, this is just newbie posts I have seen many times

but yes I am a bit off re-rereading the post, if the startup screen

comes up the cd might be ok

doesnt find the dvd drive

This is what I do not get

it's possible that there is a problem with the cd-drive not being recognized my mandriva for one reason or another. the first thing i would do is attempt to get a more recent version of Mandriva (previously Mandrake ;) ) and try that. 2007, as mentioned earlier, is the most recent version.

Gowator, is this related:

during my install of 2007 (on a laptop) random rpms

cannot be installed (<al><ctrl><f3>) show a dvd error

read (cannot decompress rpm),

I know the md5 sum is fine, and I am pretty sure my dvd player is fine,

(ok maybe the media was not fine, but that would be the first time here)

Different install block on different rpms

One of the solution is two install, then do an upgrade,

eventually all rpms get installed

Gowator, is this related:

during my install of 2007 (on a laptop) random rpms

cannot be installed (<al><ctrl><f3>) show a dvd error

read (cannot decompress rpm),

I know the md5 sum is fine, and I am pretty sure my dvd player is fine,

(ok maybe the media was not fine, but that would be the first time here)

Different install block on different rpms

One of the solution is two install, then do an upgrade,

eventually all rpms get installed

Well I haven't made a Mandriva install since 2006 and that was in VMWARE so its a virtual CD anyway...

However your problem sounds spookily like the problem that brought me to this board many years ago....

I don't think its the same error ....as death by M/Soft, which sounds more like the special cutdown kernel which is used during install simply doesn't recognise the CD/DVD.... (or more accurately the bus it is on)....

The install image boots OK..because this is under BIOS and then syslinux but once its loaded it can't see the CD it just booted from....

In your case where did you get the CD/DVD?

My problem was a physcial problem with officially pressed CD's (i.e. paid for powerpack) and the CD's themselves were physically warped... when you compared them with properly pressed CD's (like from a magazine) they just were not actually round ... and the edges all warped....

The actual errors were random because it depended how the CD was spinning ....and I was getting the same errors you describe, failing on different RPM's....

In the end I just gave up on them and used a cover CD .... it installed fine (go figure)

The other error I had was again an official disk set (I didn't pay for this one it was a freebie at the Paris Linux Expo mandriva stand) and was the first x_64 version ... This one was like "death by M/Soft"'s problem ...

It simply lost the CD/DVD when it booted....

This was my last real arttempt ever to use Mandriva as my primary distro..... now I just keep a copy for curiosity and helping people here....

Also is it me or is Mandrive going down the same route as Bill Gates group of criminals? :wall:

This was exactly the impression they gave me... with the paid support stuff....

Basically although I could physically SEE the CD's were not even round they referred me to Mandrake Club and Mandrake Expert .. the problem was obviously a physical one with the disks but you try communicating and .. well that's how I ended up feeling too.

My problem was a physcial problem with officially pressed CD's (i.e. paid for powerpack) and the CD's themselves were physically warped

Thanks for your post. Below more details and thoughts

This is very very interesting. Never thought of that as the problem was very new to me

(it might have occured once on a single packet with 2006? but did not pay attention at the time.

I have been on boards for a while but never seen a post about that, saying that I was not looking for it).

The 2007 DVD is an iso (from bittorent, the dual arch 586 / 64 bits) burnt with k3b at 8x.

The md5 sum and gpg signature were fine.

The media is a generic 8x DVD-R. I have used many of these with other distros, never had a problem.

(but yes, this does not mean that very one was/is not well balanced or wrapped).

The laptop is an IBM R40e a bit old hence (DVD combo, not even cd writer, but up to 16x read I think).

Ok a laptop reader can be a a bit fussy; I first used a DVD-R datawrite yellow 16x burnt at 8x. This would not even boot,

whereas that same yellow DVD would boot ok on the desktop (I assume it is an optical problem or

something to do with the header/descriptor being incompatible with the dvd firmware; do not know).

I am 90% sure I installed mdv 2006 from a backup of cover magazine on a DVD-R datawrite yellow 8x burnt at 8x.

This did not have a problem.

Anyway back to the random failure to read/decompress rpms during install

What is strange is that on failure to read/decompress the rpm, you can see in consoles F3 and F4 mode

that the laptop does retry about 4 or 5 times. As the error is random on full install (it is never the same rpms that

fail to install), the wobliness should be overcome by the retry. It could be that the retry works

from memory without a reread or re-spin of the dvd (I am not sure).

From experience distro are more or less fast to install and are probably using different DMA settings with cd/dvd players,

so an agressive DMA setting could worsen the situation (I can tell you it is spinning fast)

But I have never seen a failure to install a packet in any other distro...

and I do not believe the dvd player is bust or dirty (did install freebsd with it)

The randomeness is low in the sense that once the problem occurs you can have a series of errors,

then it will stop for a while then restart having read errors (got about 15 in total during one install).

Either way, this sounds also like a bug in the installer (not retrying properly). What do you think?

What makes it worse when a rpm fails to install, one gets a message [continue yes/no],

if you say no then you get a kernel error and that it is it, all finished, or you go in a forever

loop menupackageselection - kernel error - menupackageselection (cannot remember for sure which menu)

Out of curiosity I will see if I can try another dvd media.

I hope this is no thread hijacking

My problem was a physcial problem with officially pressed CD's (i.e. paid for powerpack) and the CD's themselves were physically warped

Thanks for your post. Below more details and thoughts

This is very very interesting. Never thought of that as the problem was very new to me

(it might have occured once on a single packet with 2006? but did not pay attention at the time.

I have been on boards for a while but never seen a post about that, saying that I was not looking for it).

The 2007 DVD is an iso (from bittorent, the dual arch 586 / 64 bits) burnt with k3b at 8x.

The md5 sum and gpg signature were fine.

The media is a generic 8x DVD-R. I have used many of these with other distros, never had a problem.

(but yes, this does not mean that very one was/is not well balanced or wrapped).

The laptop is an IBM R40e a bit old hence (DVD combo, not even cd writer, but up to 16x read I think).

Ok a laptop reader can be a a bit fussy; I first used a DVD-R datawrite yellow 16x burnt at 8x. This would not even boot,

whereas that same yellow DVD would boot ok on the desktop (I assume it is an optical problem or

something to do with the header/descriptor being incompatible with the dvd firmware; do not know).

I think you are well on track here with your suspicions....

Laptop DVD readers, specially combo's are dodgy because the heads never quite align optimally...

Indeed in reality the same is true of any "combo" drive BUT because they device is physically thicker the angle it aligns at is less critical.

(Im guessing you already know that the wavelength is different ... )

What Ive found is pretty much trial and error.....

Some combo drives write and read their own CD's/DVD's.... but then ytou get problems when you use it elsewhere.... others read the DVD's burned elsewhere .. it all really depends on that drive and how the lenses physically align....

On top of this laptop drives get banged about .... so you can physically misalign them through ths too.

I have on occiasion taken apart the full size drives and just cleaned them with a spray and put them back together ....

This in itself has a solved a lot of issues without having to physically touch the lens.....I think its just putting it back together that helps....

Sometimes i have to physically clean the lens but I try not to....

burning on the slowest possible speed seems to help usually ... but you have to play about with the possible speeds for the writer and medium... sometimes the medium won't allow slower writing !

Failing that I just burn a install and use a NFS install.... you can usually just mount the DVD image as loopback on another PC and copy the files to a disk ... and then use the NFS install indeed I started douing this almost by default anyway since it sdaves lots of effort in the 1st place and you are in an easier environment to work with...

Also with a fast internet connection you can just install via http: on one of the mirrors...

I used to be paranoid about havig the physical medium (just in case) but I no longer bother ... I just ended up with a huge CD wallet with hundreds of install CD's.... 99% of which I only used once... so instead I just keep a liveCD just in case....(In my case kanotix)

I am 90% sure I installed mdv 2006 from a backup of cover magazine on a DVD-R datawrite yellow 8x burnt at 8x.

This did not have a problem.

Anyway back to the random failure to read/decompress rpms during install

What is strange is that on failure to read/decompress the rpm, you can see in consoles F3 and F4 mode

that the laptop does retry about 4 or 5 times. As the error is random on full install (it is never the same rpms that

fail to install), the wobliness should be overcome by the retry. It could be that the retry works

from memory without a reread or re-spin of the dvd (I am not sure).

It seems to be the case but I think the problem is it requires a reset command to be issued and the installation kernel drivers don't allow that... or perhaps it unloads and reloads the module BUT the module is compiled in the kernel fopr the install kernel....

From experience distro are more or less fast to install and are probably using different DMA settings with cd/dvd players, so an agressive DMA setting could worsen the situation (I can tell you it is spinning fast)

But I have never seen a failure to install a packet in any other distro... and I do not believe the dvd player is bust or dirty (did install freebsd with it) The randomeness is low in the sense that once the problem occurs you can have a series of errors, then it will stop for a while then restart having read errors (got about 15 in total during one install). Either way, this sounds also like a bug in the installer (not retrying properly). What do you think? What makes it worse when a rpm fails to install, one gets a message [continue yes/no],

if you say no then you get a kernel error and that it is it, all finished, or you go in a forever

loop menupackageselection - kernel error - menupackageselection (cannot remember for sure which menu)

Yes, i think a lot of it is the DMA settings .but also the limitations of the install kernel as I described above....

Also I have to say I noticed this more on Mandriva.... so that tends to suggest it.....

Its a bit OT but this is a long standing problem with Mandriva I find that they get a bit ahead of themselves technically in terms of the autodetection and this is not the only problem with their installation kernels....

I guess completely an aside but .. are you sure you want Mandriva????

I think a lot of these issues are actually caused by the all-out aim at a noobie friendly install....

In many ways the install seems a trade off between the autodetection and saving the user from making technical choices and hence it tends to work or not work... and when it doesn't the install ends up being more complex than say Debian netinstall....

... and if you installed BSD then you can install something a bit more technical ????

I use a rock solid Debian as my main distro and then run everything else via VMWARE...though Im thinking of going with Xen next reinstall....just an idea???

I hope this is no thread hijacking

Yeah me too....

ok, a contribution to the original thread, it is really worth trying 2006 or 2007 because once you find out 10 has a given issue you will need to install proper 2006 or 2007 anyway (the upgrade path is not really possible)

you have an interesting experience ;), with my recent experience it is converging toward media wobliness and/or quirky hardware=install kernel maybe in need of TLC

>>guess completely an aside but .. are you sure you want mandriva????

Still like it a lot, because of the ease of mixed command lines and GUI (MCC).

Plus for advocacy or recommanding a distro, I think it is a good choice, so I need

to stay current on it. I cannot really explain, I like it, but I keep an eye opened.

Hence this remains my main distro.

Do not like suse (packet manager :(. Have toyed with slack 10.1 (11 pending), last ubuntu I tried I did

not like the menus. Did a ftp debian install (etch?) went ok on the laptop, but

was gnome and would still prefered kde, so because of extra download ditched it

(plus wanted to try freebsd so needed the room)

Spending time on vector occasionally. Have qemued centos and stuff like that

to see what they were like, but never in depth.

I have a "toy install project" with gentoo and sabayon (had not time to progress it though).

Will probably use debian one day or another

Yeah I only keep it for curiosity and support LOL

Suse... i just couldn't live with....the whole YaST thing drove me crazy......

slack.... I should give it another go, haven't used in in over 10 yrs now.... and its a lot different :D

can I recommend the kanotix CD .... have a go in live mode .. the GUI tools are there, just not in a CC and from what you say I think you'd like it.... but as you say recommending to noobies is also a good reason to stick with mandy...Im just guessing here that you'll like it....