I want to install an iso but with no cd, can I?

4di

An easy way, is to use a machine that is running Linux, and then mount the ISO using the loop method, and then you can just do an FTP install from this directory. Of course, you'll need to make a bootable floppy or something to do a network install and then you can access it over FTP.

The command to mount the iso:

mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso

assuming that /mnt/iso is where you want to mount the iso to in terms of directory.

You can do:

mkdir /mnt/iso

to create the directory, and then you should be able to mount it to do the install. If the directory doesn't exist, it will report that /mnt/iso doesn't exist. By default, it doesn't exist, and so have to create the directory.

ok done , know how can access it over FTP? ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/mnt/iso ? is it corect? and i don't have a ftp server

You can just install it via urpmi or install NFS or apache

If you use NFS then you just export it by making /mnt/iso exported ...

for the purpose of the install a simple entry in /etc/exports like

/media/sda1/ *(rw,no_root_squash) is sufficient.. you can make * = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx if you like for security ...

now use the NFS install option

if you use apache then you can just

mkdir /var/www/iso

mount the ISO instead on this mount point..

mount -o loop -t iso9660 /home/adrian/Download/smoothwall-2.0.iso /var/www/iso

now use the http method of install

or you can set up ftp.... its not so hard either

i was trying to install via urpmi but i wasn't succesed, so i download the iso ....

ok , know its done , i buy a cd (and know it works ) but i will try to install like Gowator says and i will tell you what is the end of this.

thank you all for support ! :luv:

i was trying to install via urpmi but i wasn't succesed, so i download the iso ....

ok , know its done , i buy a cd (and know it works ) but i will try to install like Gowator says and i will tell you what is the end of this.

thank you all for support ! :luv:

One thing to be aware of though is the ISO might be meant to be used as a bootable CD....

I hadn't thought of this earlier but is it a CD that boots and then makes the PC into a dedicated firewall?