Hercules Game Theatre XP

mtweidmann

I've managed to persuade my house mate to install Linux on his computer. We choose 9.1 RC2 because the HD onto which it was going is on a RAID controller, and 9.1 was a lot happier about this than 9.0

Anyway, the installtion has gone fine and Mandrake is up and running. But his sound card isn't working properly. He's got a Hercule Game Theatre XP, which is playing sound but very quietly and at poor quality. We can't get it to play the sound from the TV card either. We've checked in Hard Drake, and its detected correctly and the driver matches the chip the card uses.

We've played around with KMix but there loads of entries, as the card has a lot of ports. Not entirely sure what they are all for to be honest. We have also tried aumix, but its still v.quiet and still no TV sound.

Anyone got one of these cards and/or knows how to fix the sound output?

Well, I'll start with the simplest thing first. The speakers are plugged into line out? I haven't seen it often, but I've helped people (not with that card though) that had them plugged into another port, earphones or something like that, on their soundcard.

Guest mbell666

Hi

i am the house mate mentioned above (i ve now registered for the board).

The speakers are plugged into the sound card, the volume on my amp is set correctly, the ampilifier input is selected correctly..... this purley a linux driver help as the sound card (Hercules Game Theatre XP- http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php?p=57&b=0&f=1 ) is working correctly in windows.

The sound card is based around the Crystal CS4624 dsp, which is the correct dsp for the installed driver. the sound cards working, but the output sounded is very quite and of low quality either distoring and missing the low frequencies etc.

Has anyone any idea's?

Thanks

Hi mbell666, Welcome to the Board!

I'll let some of the Mandrake users jump in and help you with drivers. I do believe you are plugged into the right jack, but just to clarify something for others reading the thread - just because the card works in Windows and doesn't in Mandrake doesn't necessarily mean it's the drivers. The Windows mixer, or Volume Control, or whatever might just happen to have (for example) the headphone channel set to a decent volume & the Mandrake mixer might have it set to a very low volume.

Guest mbell666

i have spent quite a while playing with the mixer (the mixer is quite large due to number of inputs and outputs on this card), but have been unable to get the Tv audio to work (connected to the aux2 cd header on sound card).

It would seem also that my card has a cs 4630 dsp rather than the 4624 dsp. it seems that hercules decided that the newer 7.1 version of my card didnt need as powerful dsp for some reason!

Thanks

I own a game theater XP 7.1. I am sill using 9.0 tho. Anyway, first you need to find out which driver you are using. It will either be the cs46xx or the snd-cs46xx. The correct one is the snd-cs46xx. The best way to check this is open a console, su to root and type in draksound. Make sure you are using the snd-cs46xx. Unfortunately ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) doesn't support a few of the greeat outputs and inputs this sound card has. I have heard rumors of digital input/output support in ALSA .9 which is due out within the week. I can't wait to record MD's digitally. BTW I got most of this info from a forum on the hercules site before I purchased the card. It might be worth reading what is there.

Guest mbell666

hi,

i am running the snd-cs46xx sound driver. i think the problem is that my sound card is the 5.1/6.1 version that has the cs4630 dsp, not the cs4624 like the 7.1 .

i will check the hercules forums, i did check there faq.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone else has similar problems in the future this is how we ended up fixing the problem:

In summary:

- Get latest version of ALSA

- Tell apps to use OSS (or set arts to use OSS)

We had set all the apps to use arts drivers, not ALSA or OSS. So we tried switching XMMS to ALSA, and if anything it got worse. Then we tried switching to OSS and everything magically worked. We then used KDE Control Centre to manually specify OSS as the driver arts should use and now all arts apps are happy.

The machine is still running MDK 9.1 RC2, but updated from cooker. And it still uses ALSA as the sound driver, just we tell apps to use OSS or arts.

• 1 month later...
Guest dusty1000

Hello !

Im using this sound card since mdk 9.0, and it works just fine.

The only thing to do is to install the alsamixergui. The default mixers are just not powerful enaugh.

With alsamixergui u can even turn on/off digital in/out !!

Hope that helps.