Mandriva 2007: One and 3CD both lock-up

PurpleGuitar

When I boot from the Mandriva 2007 One CD (x86 version), the boot procedure runs normally, but when X comes up, I get a window with horribly garbled content. I cannot read any text within the box, nor are there windows to select. I can still move my mouse around, but the only way to shut down is to power off: ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-delete, ctrl-alt-F1 all fail.

I tried downloading the 3CD edition and installing from there instead. The graphic installation runs fine, except that every video configuration I test ends up crashing the system. I've played with XFDrake to get different options, and nothing worked: everything ended up with either a grey screen or a blue screen, both with a usable mouse cursor but nothing else. Again, none of my ctrl-alt-* options worked.

Since it looked like a video card problem, i downloaded the latest drivers (8774) from nvidia.com. With these installed, I am able to get KDE up and running, but it's not working right. Problems include: no decorations on windows; windows cannot be moved; firefox and other apps will not accept keyboard input; panel dies; cannot add applets to panel; cannot add virtual desktops to panel.

I have an Athlon 64-bit processor, but need to run 32-bit Linux for Java. Video card is a GeForce 7800 GT. This configuration worked fine on Mandriva 2006.

Any ideas?

does booting up with the kernel option video=vesa help?

at least you would have a graphical system and then a chance

to play with drax11 and new drivers

Tried passing this option to both One and my hard drive install, and there was no change in either.

It might help to mention that I can start an IceWM desktop, and it is mostly functional (I can move windows, start programs, type text in applications), but the decorations are garbled, as well as the three lower-left buttons, which I assume are supposed to be images.

Try pressing F1 when prompted during install, various parameters you can try are:

acpi=off
noapic
nolapic

so, you can try with:

linux noapic

and see how you get on. Then append to the end of the line, so:

linux noapic nolapic

and if that doesn't work, add the remaining acpi=off to the end of the line.

Try pressing F1 when prompted during install, various parameters you can try are:

acpi=off
noapic
nolapic

so, you can try with:

linux noapic

and see how you get on. Then append to the end of the line, so:

linux noapic nolapic

and if that doesn't work, add the remaining acpi=off to the end of the line.

I tried these options with both the One CD and the 3CD Free, but nothing changed. Mandriva One still leads to a garbled screen (which looks like it's probably a language-selection dialog, but it looks like the text was scrubbed with a rough pixel brush), and the 3CD install still boots up, using nvidia's drivers, to an unusable desktop.

Has anyone gotten 2007 to work on a GeForce 7800 GT?

I am sorry I have no other suggestions apart from

trying another distro live CD (but I imagine you had linux

working before)

Maybe a bad burn cd. Try it on another PC

I am stumped, sorry

if you have another distro working maybe you could copy the xorg.conf

and see if there is a difference, but really not a great suggestion