Wish I had stayed with 8.2

Guest johnKFT

Guest johnKFT

I have had a lovely rock solid and much altered 8.2 system working for months, then I bought a second laptop and had a DVD of Mdk 9.0 from a magazine. I decided to try 9.0 on the second machine and when it was settled down and steady I would copy it over to the first. Ha-ha!

In the process of copying some files from 1 to 2 using a floppy (have not managed to figure out how to connect them directly yet) I managed to lose all my desktop settings - and no backup. Yes, I know - oh dear and all that. So far 9.0 seemed OK on machine 2 so I thought I would upgrade 1 as it would take no longer than resetting my desktop. I tried twice, but each time whenever I logged in I was thrown back to the login screen. Eventually I got fed up and decided to bite the bullet and do a clean install, keeping $HOME.

Well, I am not going to bore you all with tales of the chaos and muddles that ensued. My own fault doubtless - one forgets all the little tricks it took to get the 8.2 stable! Suffice it to say I am very pissed off, especially as 9.0 does not seem to give me the environment I need to run the various things I want to upgrade to - which basically all seem to need libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) and gtk+2.0-2.1.2. I have dabbled with upgrading but have been convinced by rpmdrake that it will not be a good idea. I believe it. To cut a long story short, can anyone tell me if these libs are in 9.1 and if so when does it become available?

The files you mention are indeed in 9.1. You can get them individually off cooker, or you can get the iso of 9.1RC2. I think they are both on the first cd.

You must be trying to use some newer rpms that require the newer libs. Whatever you are installing, you might try to use an older rpm, like the previous version, and not have depends to use the newer files. However upgrades to programs frequently require upgrades to the depends as well

This is something that us Linux users have to deal with - spending months and sweat getting our system tweaked exactly the way we want it and then having to upgrade or whatever and losing it all!!

I have learnt a little trick though: Usually your system can be tweaked to perfection in a few hours, it's the figuring out how that takes the big time. So I keep a little log whenever I figure something out with exactly how I achieved something and what I did, etc.

This helps me write tutorials and gives me a todo list for whenever I do a clean install.

Anyway, I feel your pain, but I don't think it is 9.0 as such to blame for your problems - I agree with Ixthusdan that you probably need the newer libs.

As far as keeping track of settings goes, I run shivalik (a script, found at either of the links below) weekly. If I have any questions about changes I've made, I just diff the files. I has been modified to record all of the config files I want to keep track of.

GNU/Linux post-installation procedures

GNU/Linux Post-Installation Checklist

Guest johnKFT

Thanks everyone, for commiserations and advice. I shall persevere with this and get everything backed up, then update to 9.1 when it comes along. I do not fancy messing about with Glibc or gtk+2, so I'll let Mandrake do that for me. My internet access is much too slow to download it; anyone any idea when I'll be able to buy the download CDs?

Guest GorGor

Hullo

SoulSe mentions he keeps a log.

I admit I am a dinosaur, I keep scraps of paper numbered A B C ( then post install) D E F etc. ON what and how I do the clean install.

I load most of Kde but run the apps only thru IceWm. Altho I suspect 9.1 will be bigger for me, the aim is to give me less data to image using PARTIMAGE.

I also have an true log of what each image contains.

changelogs as mentioned may be smarter but I like to see what I did or TODO in black and white

Naturally I too have had depenency issues, but maybe 9.1 for solve them.