Installing Motorola SB5100 USB Modem

Rapha

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Normally I use a cable modem plugged into my ethernet port, and it was trivial to set up. Now I´m trying to hook up the same laptop at a friend´s house where there´s only a cable modem with USB connection. It´s a Motorola SBV5120E surfboard modem, so I followed the instructions above. /var/log/messages already mentioned "using uhci_hcd and address 5" so it sounded good.

When I ran "ifconfig -a" it listed three eth connections, eth1, eth2 and eth3 - presumably one is my normal ethernet in, one is my wireless and the third is the USB modem? I wasn´t sure which was which so ran dhclient on all three, but each one just said "DHCPDISCOVER on eth* to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval *" a few times and then "No DHCPOFFERS received.

No working leases in persistent database - sleeping."

My first attempt at setting it up was using the "Setup a new network interface" wizard, but none of the given options (Ethernet, DVB, Cable modem, DSL, ISDN, Wireless, GPRS, Bluetooth, POTS) led to anything which would let me select the USB device.

Any other tips, or should I just give up? It should be possible, right?

• 1 year later...

Bump :D

Is there anything special you have to do with a USB modem, or is it better to stick to ethernet connections? Should it work and I am just choosing the wrong buttons, or is it unlikely to work at all this way?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Meh - ok so it seems that Linux doesn't do USB modems then :unsure:

Fortunately this particular modem also has an ethernet socket, and I managed to get hold of an ethernet cable to try it out - with this the network works ok, but the modem seems to need a power cycle to realise whether it should be using the USB output or the ethernet output.