Installed Mandriva2007 Official PowerPack but no X

As an early seeder, I now have Mandriva 2007 Official Power burnt to DVD.

I installed it on my laptop...Toshiba 5205-S703. I have had previous versions of Mandrake/Mandriva on this laptop with successful installs.

This time however, when I boot up (Grub Gui bootloader) and use verbose mode, all scrolls down with "[OK]"; however it then goes to a black screen with the tiny white cursor line in the upper left-hand corner, not blinking. It remains stuck there and nothing else happens.

I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver for the GeForce 440 Go (generic). When booting in verbose, it shows NVidia 8774.

I'm not very techy, so simple, step-by-step instructions would be very helpful.

Many thanks!

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

I was able to get successfully complete the install by using the "nv" driver (choosing "GeForce") from the nvidia list.

This is the first time I've installed Mandriva on this laptop where I've not been able to use the full, proprietary driver.

Does anyone have some advice? I would really like full functionality so that I can use 3D acceleration.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

I had to use nv on my laptop too, since it's not supported by the nvidia driver. What card do you have? It simply could be that it's not supported in the newer nvidia driver.

Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you again. On the Toshiba 5205-S703, the Nvidia card is the NV17M GeForce4 460 Go.

What is your laptop? Is it the same?

I also have a Toshiba 5005-S507 with the GeForce4 440 Go...same problem. (This is the infamous laptop that had the lawsuit for not working properly...I got $500 from the lawsuit). On this one I'll stick with "nv" since 3D acceleration graphics have never worked well with it. (It's now my "linux only" "distro slut" laptop, partitioned for about 4 distros.)

BTW, Mandriva One 2007 Live CD cannot boot on either laptop either, but does well on my desktop, so will soon be installling Mandriva PowerPak 2007 on it (a 4 year old PowerSpec 8920 from Micro Center).

I appreciate your input and help, as always.

Richard

• 2 months later...

No problem, I found a post on the Ubuntu forums regarding a very similar issue. It was just one post where a user said "I use this card [same one as you] and I have to use the legacy drivers" - so I researched supported cards in Nvidia's readme and tossed in the legacy driver in case the most recent driver that supposedly "supports" it doesn't work.

I have a few laptops at the minute lol. My home one is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 Celeron 2.2GHz. This has an Intel card in it, so not relevant.

My old work laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with an NVIDIA GeForce 420GO. This is a 16MB card and is crap. I cannot get it working with ANY nvidia driver, and can only use the nv driver, which never gives me opengl. But then I shouldn't expect too much with a 16MB card these days :P

My new one is a Toshiba Tecra A8, 1.66GHz Core Duo, which has an Intel card in it, and I think 128MB ram.