reinstalling mandriva

jgw

I decided to reinstall mandriva (2006.0 - december, dvd) I did that (strange christmas theme) I did this so that I could be running with GNOME and it just seemed simpler. Then I went to easy urpmi and did that thing to make sure of my sources. I then went to the update program section and it went out and found over 75 programs that needed updating. First I tried to update them all at one time - flunked. Then I started with fewer and fewer. I am now down to one. It wants, for instance, to update the gnome browser which also means it wants to install firefox 1.5? (now has 1.06 which is pretty screwed up). When it tries it then tells me that my update sources are flawed. I then go in and choose yet another site but, yet again, the source is suspected of not being up to date. What I am now doing is picking and choosing which programs to update and some will and some will not.

I think I may be getting myself into trouble although everything seems to be working (except the updating which is a disaster). I can just keep picking away at this thing or can do something else. My basic problem, in all of this, is that I have no idea what that something else might be (although I do suspect there is a better plan of attack).

If anybody has thoughts on this one I would REALLY appreciate those thoughts. There is, incidentally, nothing on this machine worth saving so I will not feel any loss at reinstalling again, etc. I also have a good internet connection. If I saw a newer system to download I would do that but I cannot find one that looks any newer.

Edited by jgw

Hmm... I had the same error with my lappy (mdv2006) some time ago, complaining about Firefox. I just waited two days and - voilà - it worked then. I guess the syncing of the mirror wasn't done very well and the new syncing some days later which created a new hdlist solved that.

What sources did you add with easyurpmi? I would suggest you make sure you have all main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

I did put them all in. I did it a couple of times just to make sure (between problems). When I deleted a previous group they were all there to be deleted so I have to assume that I got all the current lists. All five also appear in the control center. If, and when, 2007 appears it may fix all my problems?