shorewall blocking MySQL ODBC connection

Guest wintermute

Guest wintermute

I want to allow access to MySQL database located on a mandriva 2006, to client apps on a win98 machine, via mysql-odbc.

I've already achieved this on another network, connecting an ms-access to MySQL. It was no big deal, all I had to do was to grant appropriates privileges to the database administrator.

In this case, something blocks my connection when I try to connect to MySQL. And the main difference between this linux box and the working other is that the new one act like a gateway for my win98 client.

It seems that this gateway function is assumed by shorewall.

I've already read a lot of thing about this, and I know that all I need to do is to enable the 3306 port which is the port used by MySQL. So far It has changed nothing. I don't even know if my iptable directive was right.

I'd like to stop completly shorewall to check whether it's its fault or not, but even if I do a 'shorewall clear' or 'shorewall stop', there are still iptables rules applied that I see when I 'ps -aef|grep iptable'.

So as you can see I don't understand anything, so please come and help me go through this mess.

I don't think I can help much but it's "service shorewall stop" in a terminal/konsole as root (just incase you got the command wrong) :)

Also, you can change the shorewall rules through: Mandriva Control Centre -> Security -> Set up firewall.... You should be able to allow MySQL connections in there. It would probably be easier to do it that way than manually editing the rules yourself.

Guest wintermute

Thank you for trying to help. Unfortunatly, I do know the right syntax for 'service' command, I just wanted to get short in my explanations - Sorry if it misled some of my readers.

Coming to shorewall rules in mandriva, I already tried "drakfirewall', but it didn't help me much : all I can do is checking some boxes to allow apache, ftp, etc and a text field to enter plain text ports. One could ask 'But wht if you enter your mysql port ?' The problem is, none of these checkboxes are checked, and there's no port already displayed in the port text field. So before I change things not supposed to, I prefer to understand what I'm doing. In this case, I want to be sure shorewall/iptables is the core problem.

To know this for sure, I have to disable shorewall and clear all iptable directives.

This is where it's getting complicated : whatever iptable or service shorewall I use, there's still iptables rules applyied. I want to get rid of it to be sure it is what that blocks my odbc sql connection.