system clock going faster and faster

hermus

Hi

I got a problem with the system clock. It is running faster and faster. When I rebooted the machine yesterday, it was ok in the beginning, then after a while, it was about 10second faster every 10minutes; then right now, it is more than 3 minutes faster every 10minutes, which is making me crasy.

I have had this problem for a while. I sreached this forum and tried some instructions, but the problem was not solved yet.

1) I have "force no APIC" and "force no local APIC" selected, does not help;

2) I tried ntp, but as many guys mentioned, it sync the time only once when I reboot the machine, after that, it does not work; I tried ianw1974's suggestion by adding one more line in the /etc/ntp.conf, but neither options he gave work in my case.

I am running ntpdate in cron every 10 minutes now, but since it is running faster and faster, I may need to run this command every minute. But there is still a problem, for example, when I want to type an "a", it may come out several like "aaaaaaa". That is crazy.

My machine has AMD Athlon64 dual core, running mandrake 2006.0 (kernel 2.6.12.25). Linux only, no dual boot.

I appreciate your help.

Yong

:wall:

I'd disable this options so you can get it running again. You can press ESC at lilo screen and type:

linux acpi=off

and it should boot normally again.

The other thing, if I didn't mention already in previous places, see if you can get BIOS update for your machine. But be careful, and make sure you get the right BIOS update for your machine. I had one once that wasn't quite the same, and I hosed the BIOS and had to buy a new motherboard, processor and memory. Good excuse for an upgrade though ;)

I have solve the "bootup" problem. Bow it is OK.

But for the time problem, I understand it can be dangous to update a bios. Since a non-mandrake kernel gives the correct time (2.6.14.*), so I guess this problem should be able to solve within the "software" level. Is this possible?

Best wishes,