No CD-ROM Device

Guest Stepniac

Guest Stepniac

I have bought Mandrake 10.1 Powerpack.

I put CD1 of the installation package into my optical drive (Plextor PX-750A DVD Recorder) using it as a CD ROM device. The optical drive has read enough information to run the installation process to get to the very first installation welcome screen. After pressing the carriage return button it produces statements like it has detected USB devices. But it stops when it says it cannot find a CD-ROM device. Pressing the OK button the next thing the installation process wants is a floppy disk with drivers on it.

I've swapped the Plextor PX-750A with a LiteOn 52X CD-ROM and the installation process stopped at the same point.

What is happening and what can I do about it?

Stepniac.

Mandrake 10.1 is a fairly old release. It might be that hardware detection has improved with newer versions of Mandrake (now Mandriva).

I would download the free Mandriva One DVD and see if it has problems seeing your drive. Mandriva One allows you to run Mandriva 2006 without actually installing the OS to your hard disk. Alternately, it can be used to install Mandriva 2006 as well.

Hi Stepniac,

I don't wish it to your CDs, even more as you've bought the software, but did you check wether you can see scratches on the surface? Defects both on top and bottom side may cause the disk go unreadable. I once was lucky with the experiment on an old, really scratchy and thus dysfuntional install CD: Just duplicated it with k3b (clone option deactivated), and the copy worked fine as the master did before. Seemed to me that some error correction did actually work.

HTH,

scoonma

Guest Stepniac

Thanks for your advice.

1. I bought Mandrake 10.1 Powerpack from PC World in the UK. They do have a PC Clinic so I could

ask them if they could try to install Mandrake on one of their test PCs to confirm it is the CD that is

is the cause of the problem.

2. No I confess I did not examine the CD but now I have, the CD looks brand new with no scratches

on boths sides.

3. Where is the best place to download the Mandriva One DVD. Can I still refer to the 10.1 manuals?

Do I have to download or get Mandriva 2006 separately (and pay for it).

4. One of the options that is available when I pressed the F1 button is "noauto" which the manuals say will disable the automatic hardware detection bit of the installation. I'm new to Linux, so is this a good idea or am I creating problems for myself later on?

Stepniac.

Thanks for your advice.

1. I bought Mandrake 10.1 Powerpack from PC World in the UK. They do have a PC Clinic so I could

ask them if they could try to install Mandrake on one of their test PCs to confirm it is the CD that is

is the cause of the problem.

Stepniac.

From my experience of that company in the past, their "advisors" know precious little about Linux, it's not a major product for them to support, and if anyone does know anything about it, it's not because they were paid to. To be honest your best port of call is forums like this where people know a damn sight more.

Out of interest, how old is your computer?

If I were you I would do my hardest to get a refund for it as Mandriva will stop supporting it shortly ....wait just checked, they have stopped supporting it (as of 28th February). Your best bet is to try to download. If that's a problem I could certainly mail you the discs I got kicking around here....somewhere.

Guest Stepniac

I have just built the PC. All the components are new including the DVD Recorder. Installing Windows XP was straightforward.

Thanks for the offer Reiver_Fluffi.

From the posts I think my best bet is to download Mandriva One. From what I learnt from the forum there is little point in going any further with the Mandrake 10.1 route.

Thanks for the advice.

Stepniac.

Edited by Stepniac