Mandriva 32-bit in 64-bit

plsoft

I just installed Mandriva 2006 32-bit on my fren's pc with AMD 64 3000+, Gigabyte K8N51GMF (NVIDIA Geforce on-board) motherboard and SATA HDD. It installed fine without any prob but after rebooting it displayed a command line interface with the following lines:

-----------

Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for i586

Kernel 2.6.12-12mdksmp on an i686 / tty1

localhost login:

-----------

I had opted for both GNOME as well as KDE but there is no graphics interface. Please help as to how i can go to the Graphics Windowed environment.

Looks like GDM or KDM are not installed or set. You can log in and then type startx. From the system section of the mandriva control center, you can choose "the display manager that enables to select which user to log in" and install kdm and/or gdm if they are not installed.

Do you know how to use easy-urpmi?

Edited by ffi

Yea i know easy-urpmi but my fren doesn't have a net connection. But i can dwld it for him if you tell me wat to do.

I think you should first see if you can get X started and then to enable kdm or gdm via the control center, else if they are not installed, install them from the install cd.

Just do:

urpmi kdm gdm

to install both. Although check /etc/inittab and see if it's just using runlevel 3 instead of runlevel 5.

id:5:initdefault:

this line shows runlevel 5 for X starting at boot. You should normally have kdm/gdm anyway if the install was a normal one, so it could just be a runlevel issue.

well i just ran starx and a screen full of details about X.org problem came up. I don't know why it's not working, when it went fine with my pc. Does it have anything to do with 64 bit or the nvidia graphic?

Yeah could be, try XFdrake (case sensitive) if that doesnt work post the lines from /var/Xorg.0.log which begin with (EE)

(edit: one way to quickly get a gui going would be to change the driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from "nvidia" to "nv", so then you're friend would at least have the gui and then get the nvidia proprietary driver properly set up)

Edited by ffi

You may want to apply all the updates before doing much else. 2006 was shipped with a broken xorg package and some had initial problems (I did on one of my systems, the others were fine) with the drivers for nvidia cards (not sure about other cards). Someone correct me if the packages on the mirrors were subsequently changed.