mouseproblems

Michel

I've never had problems with my mouse..till now. I suppose there is an explanation, but "suddenly" when I restarted my mouse began jumping from one place to another when I moved my mouse. This is not the whole time, but frequentley. It also axts as I give mouseclicks on some places, but I'm bnot even on that place. The strange thing is that it does it also under windows...Is it a pure hardware problem....Anybody now what the problem is?

(like always) it is configured with the ps/2 protocol opn /dev/psaux

(it is a genius netscroll+ mouse)

Thanks,

Michel

Well, that is a good start, but it wouldn't explain the phantom mouse clicks.

yeah, in that case i would guess it has to do with the contacts inside of the mouse-or the wiring. for trouble shooting purposes, try borrowing a friends mouse and plugging that in and see if you are having the same problems. if not it's definitely your mouse (if they still occur you have bigger problems than just your mouse). and if it's a cheap mouse (i don't know if those are or not) i would just replace it.

It took me a while to place this comment, because now, windows detects the mouse I think(the mouse is ;listed with devices), but with an x or something over it...I can't use the mouse anymore, because it won't work... By the way, now I'm asking about mouses...Can lionux handle optical mouses...I suppose the question is if linux xan handle their protocol opr something???mouses still with wire. Can it detect all mouses???

Thanks for the help...I'm going to open mouse and see if . I"ve cleaned it, just won't work. I had a 386 for 10 years( maybe incredible for some persons) Have now a new computer 2 years almost. Had never had any problems with that 386...Is hardware getting worse????

No problem. Linux can handle a cordless optical mouse easily. I wouldn't say that hardware is getting worse, although in some cases that might be true as manufacturers try to save money. There are all sorts of variables. Humidity, mouse abuse, that one was more in the lemon column, the onboard chip was hit just right by a solar particle....

Guest satchothenewbie

The same thing happens to me(windows wireless optical mouse)....phantom mouse clicks and jumpiness, and after cleaning it, it does the same thing. i might add that mine works fine in windows.

I tried someone else mouse and it worked. I've bought now a new(the same) mouse and it works...I suppose it was a hardware problem....

I hope mandrake will always give the option to manually select tour mouse(you can of course cgange the XF-file), because everytime windows started up, it detected a "new" mouse, while it was already installed, but under genius instead under standard mous(luckily you can disable it).

If you have mouseproblems in linux, you can try to set "Auto" under protocol of th mousesection in /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 en try it out....

Thanks for the help...

Guest mooky486

any chance your using a KVM switch?

I use one and my windows boxes work fine with it, but something in the emulation on the KVM throws gpm for a tizzy fit. (startech 2 port KVM - non-USB - model SV211) Also, my mouse is an MS intellimouse optical

Heres my situation:

1) Boot with kvm set to the linux box

2) consoleand mouse work just fine as expected.

3) load X

4) X mousing works just fine

5) logout of X

6) mouse seems to be stuck at the top right of the console and will not move off that line, but i can still highlight back on that line and click paste stuff. Try to drag down and all he11 breaks loose and it higlights and pastes stuff in an uncontrolled manner.

7) go back into X and everything is hunky-dory again

8) logout of X and the mouse is stuck again.

I think you can get around it by stopping and restarting gpm, or just directly connect a mouse to your linux box.

Cordless optical mouse: No problems I'm using a Logitech and I love it.

Caution: My mouse is quite hard on batteries. I fried the previous mouse using NiMH rechargeables.

I'd take a look for either a rechargeable mouse or an optical on an ordinary USB/PS2 connection.