HP LaserJet 3300 MFP scanning and printing issues

wahur

Hello all!

Couple of years ago I set up a nice small network for my parents involving few boxes running Mandrake 10.1 and multifunctional printer mentioned in the topic. Not that it worked easily but with some advice from Linuxprinting.org and after downloading and installing some extra stuff I had it done. Both scanning and printing worked just fine.

Setup involved one oldish box serving as workstation and cups server + laptops that were connected to the lan.

Now I decided its time for upgrade. Bad idea. Installed Mandriva 2006 download version, and it looks in my section hardware support has got worse not better. Printing works locally, even though it works very slow especially for graphics. Over LAN it is hit and miss, and printing anything more sophisticated than simple text file can take hours.

Scanning just plain does not work. On occasion I have managed to scan page or two on very slow res but then it just dies. Currently all I get is error message from xsane "Document feeder out of documents" (it has no document feeder and xsane settings say its flatbed so where it get this error beats me.

What annoys me most is that I cannot get consistent responses. It sometimes works one way, then the other way. Today one error message, tomorrow different. I think maybe something is wrong with USB? Or printers own software? How to start diagnosing this?

Wahur

First, check the BIOS and see if Plug and Play is being controlled by OS or is disabled/set to the other option. This can cause big problems with detecting hardware, particularly printers from what I found.

First, check the BIOS and see if Plug and Play is being controlled by OS or is disabled/set to the other option. This can cause big problems with detecting hardware, particularly printers from what I found.

And right answer should be to disable P&P?

I do not think this is an issue - as i explained this hardware setup worked just fine for years until distro upgrade.

Wahur

Yes, disable it if it's enabled. I suggest you do this, even if it's enabled now, regardless of whether it was working in the past or not.

Alternatively, it could be udev rules causing the USB problem, but still, disable it if it's enabled. Sometimes it can work fine with it enabled, other times not. This is why I suggested disabling it, to make sure it's not causing the problem.

Yes, disable it if it's enabled. I suggest you do this, even if it's enabled now, regardless of whether it was working in the past or not.

Alternatively, it could be udev rules causing the USB problem, but still, disable it if it's enabled. Sometimes it can work fine with it enabled, other times not. This is why I suggested disabling it, to make sure it's not causing the problem.

Heh, I was about to answer that its switched off as it should. But then remembered that this box was installed later and separately from all others. So now, after checking I can confirm that 1) P&P was on and 2) nothing changed when I switched it off.

In fact, after some tinkering with cups web interface I managed to get printing over LAN working (before playing with BIOS). But scanning still does not work, the same stupid "Document feeder empty" error.

Vahur

Are you using the same driver that you used originally? Have you checked linuxprinting.org recently to see if they have anything updated for this?

Original drivers would be impossible to find now - and should not be needed, as all the HP MFPs use nowadays hplip that is new and shiny stuff from HP itself and should make everything work automagically. Hplip was not even started when the original setup was made, although parts of the code did exist and were used in my setup.

Stupidest thing is that there is nothing about such error in the internet. With a device fairly uncommon this means other people have been doing without this error. And my problem fairly unique.

Wahur, has already wasted more than a day