gui load display problem

i run/install linux slackware through virtual pc.

running the cli is ok but when i startx to run kde gui it seem not loading the page.

is it a prob with my display driver with the slackware?

what are the action that i should take?

because when i install mandriva on same virtual pc there is no prob at all.

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

It could be when you created the machine. What did you choose? Normally, if the version isn't listed, you just choose "Other 2.4.x kernel" or "Other 2.6.x kernel". I'm assuming you're using vmware of course, but could be similar in other vendors software.

What errors do you get? Try running the system at runlevel 3, and then type "startx" once logged in as a normal user. What appears on screen? If you've chosen a weird display driver, try changing it to VESA so that it's using basic stuff.

The virtual machine shouldn't use Intel graphics though, the Intel graphics is your main machine. Normally the virtual machine uses a vmware driver if you use vmware, so if not vmware, it'll use something else.

Boot the virtual machine into runlevel 3, and type startx. I need to see errors. And if you just get a blank screen, then your graphics driver is not configured correctly.

An easy way, is when you get the blank screen, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to get the console window on the virtual machine, login as root and then type:

init 3

this should do it, however sometimes, not always successfully I've found. What I tend to do is edit /etc/inittab, and change this line:

id:5:initdefault:

so that it reads:

id:3:initdefault:

I then reboot the system, and it's at runlevel 3.

There's no runlevel 5 in Slackware- the equivalent is runlevel 4... :D

Factly, both runlevel 2 and runlevel 5 in Slackware should be the same as runlevel 3.

I have no idea if xorg has a special driver for MSVM virtual machines, or you simply have to use "vesa"- I haven't used MSVM for ages, only vmware.

Edited by scarecrow