Logs from hell!

Ok, so I was having trouble with my system running out of disk space all the time. And I couldn't figure out how or why, but it seemed to be eating through 100MB an hour, and once it filled up, apps would start crashing, and if I rebooted or the whole comp crashed the GUI wouldn't load. Well, I discovered my problem. /var/log is 33GB. yes, 33 GIGAbytes. I think the biggest one is syslog.1, measuring in at 14.9GB

So anyways, two questions:

1) It's safe to just do a 'rm -R -f /var/log/*', right? It won't screw anything up?

2) How do I limit the logs? I don't really want to STOP logging, but is there any way to have it, like, delete messages over one week old or something?

Urza9814:

On my Mandriva 2005 system, I do not have a syslog.1 file. Only syslog. What is being logged in syslog.1 to cause all of this size? :unsure:

Something seems wrong. I am wondering if you have a misconfigured application causing this excessive logging.

Edited by daniewicz

I'm actually thinking it might be some kind of harddrive or filesystem problem that caused all this. Maybe an incorrect shutdown? Because I have syslog.1, syslog.2, syslog.3, etc, which seems like they were most likely old syslog files that got renamed instead of deleted when something went wrong. All of them are empty. The one is several gigs, the others are a few megs. Only thing I know of that creates a blank file that's several gigs in size is filesystem errors. I'm not too concerned what caused them if that's the case...I'll just delete and see if they come back for now. I've had to reinstall several times recently, the largest problem being files left over from a failed xen install (which screwed up my entire system) making a bootloader re-installation impossible...so I finally went and cleaned all that up the other day...but yea. There are two files around 15GB, one being syslog.1 and the other being kernel/info.1, neither of which should be there, so I'll just dump 'em and see what happens for now.

Oh yea...I just deleted them...exactly 30GB free now. Wonder what the odds are of two files being exactly 30GB....

I do have some pretty big normal logfiles too though...not a few gigs, but a few that are in the megabytes...

Edited by Urza9814

I have always had those syslog (and other log files as well) files gzipped, i.e, syslog.1.gz, etc. They are rotated and compressed on a monthly basis. Unless it's not one of the "improvements" introduced in the latest Mandriva, I don't see a reason why this does not work for you... Do you run the system on a laptop? That could be only reason why logs are not properly rotated - the log rotating cron job runs at about 4am, so you may need to leave your laptop on overnight at least once a month (or change the cron schedule).

Edit: Do you have gzip utility by the way? Apparently log rotate defaults to using gzip to compress those log files.

Edited by coverup

syslog is back up to 2.2GB...and still completely empty....

If you want to do a quick shrink on a log file and not lose all the information that has been store you can try this. I do it when i have looked at the logs and just want to reclaim space.

tail -n100 syslog > syslog

this will give you the last 100 lines in the new file and the space will reduce.

I have noticed with my KMLdonkey that it makes large files like 200MB or even 1GB but the file is not actually using the space, it is the file size it will get to but not yet there.

try

ls -sl

the -s option will tell you the space that the file is actually using in blocks.

ohh wow. nevermind. I tried to look at /var/log/messages....and it wouldn't load with kate or kwrite...and it wouldn't load at all...and so I opened it with less....and then realized to try opening syslog with less...and it's FLOODED with shorewall messages. My bad.

Unfortunatly I can't seem to figure out how to fix that either...I do everything through webmin...and I can't find anything about it in webmin...lol