LAN connecting to Internet

Guest louistaub

Guest louistaub

I'm yet another newbie who can't connect to the internet. I've looked though these forums to try and find the answer, but haven't got there yet. I'm using Mandrake 9.1rc and I'm trying to connect via an ethernet card that's connected to a broadband router. I can ping ip addresses like 216.239.51.100 and I can also enter the same IP address in my browser and that also works. As soon as I type a normal address like http://www.google.com in, it just times out. Everything else works and setting up my internet connection is the last thing I need, so I can start using linux.

Thanks for any help

There is a new feature in 9.1rc1 that is called ZeroConf. Did you turn it off? I'm using the same setup as you (my computer is connected to a dhcp server with an Ethernet card) and the whole thing started to work right after the install... no config needed. I would go in the MCC->System->Services and look if ZeroConf is started. If it is not then turn it on and let's see what will happen.

Ciow

MOttS

Guest louistaub

Thanks for quick response.

I tried looking for the ZeroConf service and it wasn't shown in the services list, so I guess it's not running. I tried setting up the network connection again and it ask when setting up whether you want Automatic IP (bootp/dhcp/ZeroCong) which I have ticked.

Any more suggestions ?

Well, if you ran the network Wizard in the MCC and ticked the DHCP box, I really don't know your problem man. That may even be a bug since you are running a RC edition. I suggest you report this bug BTW.

Solutions: Since you installed it yesterday or so, try to reinstall (anyway it takes 5 minutes !!). You could also wait for 9.1 final. I tried both 9.1rc1 and 9.1rc2 and believe me, they sucks. You are better waiting for the final release since the RC's are full of bugs and aren't made for newbie's, sorry. You could also throw my suggestions away and wait for an experienced user that will show you the right direction to solve your problem ;-) .. I'm gonna look for the answer ;-)

Ciow and good luck !

MOttS

Launch the internet wizard, you will see two configs, ETHO, ETH1, set up the eth1 to be your internet access, uncheck the dhcp auto box, insert your IP address, re chech the auto boot dhcp box, in the next gui, type localhost as the name of computer. As for etho and zeroconfig, leave all blank. Click apply and OK. re-start the network.

The above worked for me, bear in mind that this a RC release, and buggy.

Good luck.

Guest louistaub

Thanks for the help. Still can't get it to work. I'm just going to wait for the full release of 9.1 now. I guessing it will not be too long now.