setting up dnsmasq as a dns cache? [solved]

seraph741

What is it your attempting to achieve? Explain what you'd like to have, and then I can give you a few solutions.

For example, my hardware firewall does DNS masquerading, so I use the firewall to point to an external ISP DNS server, and all my machines use the DNS on the firewall.

If I didn't have this, then I'd probably just install bind on one of my Linux machines, and then ensure this had an ISP DNS entry as a forwarder, and then the rest of the machines would use this machine for their DNS entries.

well, i don't want a dns server for other computers or anything like that. I'm looking to start a local DNS cache so that firefox doesn't have to lookup the DNS for every website i type in. I've heard that this could speed up browsing by 35-60 ms, which definitly adds up (especially since my DNS lookup is slow for some reason).

Just a basic cache, maybe there is something other than dnsmasq to do this? i've read things about how to do this, but they are pretty complicated and i haven't got anything to work yet. this shouldn't be that hard to setup, should it? seems pretty basic to me.

let me know, THANKS!

dnsmasq is basically using your local router/firewall which forwards the request to an external resource. It makes it look like you're running your own DNS server, when in fact you're not.

If your router/firewall doesn't have this functionality, then installing bind on one of your linux machines will effectively create a dnsmasq, because you won't have any cached entries locally, but you'll effectively be forwarding them out in exactly the same manner as the router/firewall dnsmasq.

Unless I've got this wrong, but this is how it always works when I've set it up.

well, this is officially SOLVED. all i did was reinstall dnsmasq, kept all the defaults, set my DNS to 127.0.0.1 on top and then OPENDNS numbers under that, and it works!

i always make things to complicated, i new this shouldn't have been this hard!

does the cache reset with every computer restart? it seems to. how do i change that?

Edited by seraph741

You would need to be hosting your own DNS server then, that kept it's DNS entries. I doubt very much that dnsmasq would do that. It just caches what urls are accessed whilst the system is running or so it seems.