ndiswrapper again: symvers problem [solved]

KVenter

This almost sounds like you don't have the correct kernel source installed when you try to compile ndiswrapper from source.

FWIW, lots of people on the ndiswrapper database report success with this same chipset - you could try downloading one of the drivers they recommend (seem to be lots of Acer ones).

This almost sounds like you don't have the correct kernel source installed when you try to compile ndiswrapper from source.

FWIW, lots of people on the ndiswrapper database report success with this same chipset - you could try downloading one of the drivers they recommend (seem to be lots of Acer ones).

I have the right Windows driver... the card is the Belkin F5D7000uk ... the list has a number of people who used the BCMWL5.INF with success. I will also look at another list.

From my perspective at the moment is the lack of the ndiswrapper.ko executable... do you have one? If you've got the ndiswrapper-1.2-3mdk installed and working, could I use your .kop file and manually insert it?

Cheers

Karl

WE HAVE OIL!!!!!

I took the bull by the horns and:

1) completely re-installed Mandriva Free

2) loaded all easy-urpmi suorce updates

3) loaded kernel-source using the COntrol Centre Install Software tool

4) loaded ndiswrapper-1.2-3mdk aslo using the MCC Install tool

5) created the driver using ndiswrapper -i BCMWL5.INF

then I hit a wall with modprobe (couln't find ndiswrapper module)

so I uninstalled/installed/unistalled/installed ndiswrapper-1.2-3mdk a few times... no joy.

finally uninstalled again, and used ndiswrapper-1.23 from SourceForge

6) I unzipped the downlod file

7) in the ndiswrapper-1.23 direcory,

make uninstall
make		{here I got the dreaded symvers absent warning about dependencies}
make install
ndiswrapper -l	 {here it gave a warning "invalid driver!}
modprobe ndiswrapper

I went therough the recommended iwconfig steps, but the MCC Hardware confir tool really saved me, and I stepped through the wireless PCI config including encryption, etc. It offered me 3 choices at the driver stage, one was for the card, obviously the driver was now there. I disabled the ethernet, and we have light!!!! God knows how.

Thanks for your remote asistance... it was obviously just enough to get me home.

Clearly the symvers problem needs attention or solution, as I can't believe I am the only person that has it?????

Cheers

Karl