Making KDE/GNOME work

rohitsz

Greetings there,

While i was installing mandriva le 2006 on couple of systems, i faced a strange problem on a system where after the first login, both KDE and GNOME reported a crash so it took me back to the login screen,where again i was greeted with the same error!

So i logged in with IceWM and atleast i got thru to the desktop.

From there i tried to uninstall KDE and GNOME, but due to some dependencies,it removed the iceWM too.

So when i rebooted, i was taken to the console to login, so i tried "startx", it returned with an error again.

i did urpmi icewm-light and urpmi kdebase, but i still could not get a GUI mode on mandriva...

what could be the problem!?

thanks,

rohit.

If it's a new system, I would reinstall it again... When you login for the first time, Mandrake/Mandriva runs some program to greet you. And then it crashes (at least I have seen that several times). If you politely click "Do not show me this window again", it will never bother you again and KDE won't crash.

The other crashing problem I found was their nice orange update icon in the system tray, so I just remove this from starting at boot also. Although never experienced this past LE2005, 2006 was OK with it all.