Spam from Mandriva in Kmail inbox

noranthon

This irritating piece of advertising stops me using Kmail. I managed to get rid of it in the 2005 version but I cannot find the secret for the 2006 version.

Whenever I launch Kmail, a very unwelcome "welcome to mandriva" message appears in the inbox. Not to mince words, it is spam and it shows how out of touch the people now running Mandriva are if they think this kind of nonsense is in the least persuasive.

The message is regenerated somehow. Deleting the source document results in an error message.

Is there some alteration I can make to a shell script or some other document to stop this "message" appearing?

This irritating piece of advertising stops me using Kmail. I managed to get rid of it in the 2005 version but I cannot find the secret for the 2006 version.

Whenever I launch Kmail, a very unwelcome "welcome to mandriva" message appears in the inbox. Not to mince words, it is spam and it shows how out of touch the people now running Mandriva are if they think this kind of nonsense is in the least persuasive.

The message is regenerated somehow. Deleting the source document results in an error message.

Is there some alteration I can make to a shell script or some other document to stop this "message" appearing?

LOL....

when I went to see phantom menance I sat through 45 mins of advertising... by 30 minus people were throwing cups at the screen and an audible groan each new ad....

Quite how anyone thinks this generates a positive response is beyond me....

same sort of idea?

Well, considering that Mandriva is FREE (if you want to it to be) and that you can get Kmail without paying anything either... maybe one little email ain't so bad.

I agree that it is annoying though - and certainly not the open source 'way'.

Well, considering that Mandriva is FREE (if you want to it to be) and that you can get Kmail without paying anything either... maybe one little email ain't so bad.

I agree that it is annoying though - and certainly not the open source 'way'.

The thing is these little annoyances are to me a strong incentive not to pay. I agree, its a small price and its free

BUT think of the kmail devs..... they chose not to put a welcome message... then Mandriva comes and bundles their product (incidentally without paying too) and adds one.

In Poland legislation act to forbited a spamming. Create new account e.g www.interia.pl, www.wp.pl, www.onet.pl. Good Luck.....Lex

Lex, to jest webmail. Kmail jest aplikacja na Mandriva. Nie to samo.

Thanks, all. The previous thread provided the answer. I renamed the folder containing those messages to mail.bad

Now that I think about it, I actually tried a different method previously. I deleted a subfolder of "inbox" called "cur". Not a good idea. A mental block stopped me disposing of the mail files - I thought I had already tried that.

I did search the forum but evidently used the wrong keywords.

In charity towards Mandriva, I'll now think of it as more carelessness on their part rather than commercial crassness. B)

Maybe they thought everyone liked to see Welcome to Mandriva :P

I got no prob with welcome to mandriva ....but it does get a bit negative when yuo keep getting it cropping up in different places!

Its a bit like saying you can turn off clippy in WinBlows ... sure you can.... :wink: and the second time its cute and by the tenth time you are thinking of disturbing things to do to a paperclip !!! :wall: