System hangs after about 5-10mins of use [solved]

dh2k

Hi all - I'm experiencing problems with my mandriva system hanging after about 5-10mins of usage. My system just locks up completey to the point I can't even <ctrl><alt><F1> to another terminal from F7 GUI. This occurs in both KDE and Gnome environments.

I was told to check my swappiness but what is the best level (0-100) for Mandriva 2006. Currently I'm at 95.

Systems details:

Distro: Mandriva 2006

P3-1000Mhz / 256MB RAM / Swap partition: 400MB

Edited by SoulSe

Woow, 95 is a bit high isn't it?

Default is normally 60!

Go to /etc/sysctl.conf and change this line:

vm.swappiness=95

to:

vm.swappiness=10

that's supposed to help. Then do:

sysctl -p

for changes to become active.

The other thing I've thought of, is are you using gdkm or kdm as your login manager?

I've noticed that when using gdm, my system eats memory and my system is unresponsive in 15-20 minutes, but my swappiness is set to 10 as per my previous post.

Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager to check and change where necessary.

The other thing I've thought of, is are you using gdkm or kdm as your login manager?

I've noticed that when using gdm, my system eats memory and my system is unresponsive in 15-20 minutes, but my swappiness is set to 10 as per my previous post.

Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager to check and change where necessary.

Will make sure I am using kdm and will update this post .. thanks for the support!

The value is normally set to a default of 60. If you increase it, your system is likely to use your swap file too easily. If you decrease it, say to 10 like in my example, it will tend to only use it if it really needs to.

You don't, by default it's not there. However, do this:

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

and you'll see it's set to 60. To add it, edit sysctl.conf as mentioned previously. Then your system will run better. And, just to say, it's nothing to be worried about that it's not in the file.

it's nothing to be worried about that it's not in the file.

I feel much better now ianw1974, I wasn't really worried, that was my sense of humour showing through. ;) Many thanks anyway, I have inserted the line as suggested and now I'll see if it makes a difference. Always handy to know these tidbits.