Intel releases Open Source drivers

tyme

Certainly interesting, and maybe AMD's take on purchasing ATI might improve the Linux drivers for ATI cards, which at best is very hit and miss right now.

Although, I think I'd always prefer NVidia over any of the others out there. NVidia always seem to do a good job with the Linux drivers they provide, and certainly see no need for them to open-source it. Never had problems with theirs.

I guess the only best benefit would be if they opened up for their old cards when they stop supporting them with drivers, etc. But then, it means their releasing their family jewels so to speak, and could give their competitors the info they need to make better cards themselves.

Actually, I know you're feeling. Last time Intel's drivers worked for me was Mandrake 10.1.

Since LE2005 onwards, it complains saying agpgart isn't compiled into the kernel or something. Does the same in 2006. But not surprising, since their Linux driver is from 2004!

I was interested to learn that Intel own the biggest share of the graphics market - in the region of 60%.

While Nvidia and ATI (now with AMD) make better cards, your average office worker is rocking on Intel - and after playing with a Macbook, I was quite impressed with the capabalities of lowly Intel shared graphics.

They certianly have shown up Nvidia and ATI by going open source though. I wish more hardware companies would wake up to the benefits of allowing the community to see what you've got ;)