Can't compile kernel-2.4.20???

I'm re-doing my lfs install and it's time to compile the kernel. So instead of using the included 2.4.19 I downloaded the 2.4.20, the ac.patch, and the preempt-ac.patch. Applied the patches with no errors and proceeded to config (yes I made mrproper). I did everything as usual and I've successfully compiled 15 to 20 kernels but I always get an Error 1 during make modules (make -j5 modules). So I bkup the .config>make mrproper>copy back the .config>make menuconfig>fix the module dep prob by either removing it, or putting it in the kernel, then I'll get another Error 1 at make -j5 modules for a diff module. I've tried to copy my .config from the mdk kernel and make a few changes with the same result. I've done this about 12 times now in over 9 hours! WTF!

I've done plain old make modules, and I'm pretty sure I have the correct patches, and applied them in the rt order (if there's a rt order). This is the same thing I did with the 2.4.18 without a prob. Any thoughts appreciated!

linux-2.4.20.tar.gz

patch-2.4.20-ac1.bz2

preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.20-ac1-1.patch

Hi bvc

I'm not an expert at all with Kernel recompiling but here is my contribution to your LFS :P

Did you use the 'make clean' command? .. I remember having problems compiling the modules when using that command. Since then I'm using (after make mrproper and make menuconfig):

make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install

Did you try to compile the modules with the vanilla kernel + 1 patch (not both at the same time). Maybe the two patches aren't compatible with each other. When I compiled my Gentoo kernel I patched the vanilla 2.4.20 source with the acpi patch and the console_frame_buffer patch and it didn't work out. I had to apply only one patch to compile the whole thing without error. .. since then I hate patches and uses the plain 2.4.20 vanilla kernel.

Other than that, I'm clueless sorry :cry:

Good luck dude!

MOttS

Hey MottS!

Did you use the 'make clean' command?
I was....because I always have, but after 2 failures I noticed in the lfs docs that they didn't make clean, so now I'm not. Heh...we're on the same wave...I'm currently trying with just the preempt (1 patch). Thanks for the suggestion. They should be compat...notice the "ac" on the preempt;

preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.20-ac1-1.patch

there's also a non-ac,

preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.20-1.patch

Scratch that! The preempt-ac1 won't apply without the ac-patch. So I'm trying with just the ac first :wink: