Can't start X [solved]

Per

I'm running a recently updated cooker and recently the fonts have been moved from /usr/lib/x11/fonts to /usr/share/fonts. I changed the FontPaths in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to point to the new location. I noticed that some fonts were missing as some applications used other fonts than earlier. After a resart of X many applications, such as konsole and kate, were missing much or all of their text. An X restart later after having removed an non-existant directory from the XOrg configuration file X wouldn't even start.

Hi Per,

you wrote:

I'm running a recently updated cooker and recently the fonts have been moved from /usr/lib/x11/fonts to /usr/share/fonts. I changed the FontPaths in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to point to the new location. I noticed that some fonts were missing as some applications used other fonts than earlier. [...]

Maybe the "chkfontpath" command fits your needs. You can see the options by "chkfontpath --help".

Good luck,

scoonma

If you could not manage to fix this in the meantime, the following may help:

1. Find out the "real location" of your (X11) fonts.

After the last cooker update, this is /usr/share/fonts on my system.

2. Create one or two symbolic links pointing from the old location(s) to the new one:

"ln -s /usr/share/fonts /usr/lib/X11/fonts"

"ln -s /usr/share/fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"

If (one of) the latter doesn't help, please check the X11 error message in detail and adjust the softlink target appropriately.

Good luck,

scoonma

I solved the problem by adding FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc" to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Now I'm back with my old problem with all applications showing almost no text. KDE applications seems worse in this regard than e.g. Firefox. In Firefox text can be displayed if I select it. It then may disappear again after a few seconds. This trick doesn't work in e.g. Konqueror. One odd thing is that even in Konqueror the top menu has text when I start it, but if I move the mouse there, or use a keyboard shortcut, the text disappears.