Whoa! huge problem with CUPS

praveenmarkandu

i seem to run into a lot of problems. maybe cause im just getting into something very unfamiliar.

anyway. the new problem is this

Starting CUPS printing system [OK]

Waiting for the CUPS daemon getting ready

i was trying to get some home networking going. everything seemed okay with samba. but when i tried to install a networked printer printerdrake hung. fair enough. then i closed it at started MCC up again and now was able to use the printer menu. i played around with a few settings (to be honest im not sure what. im sorry).... still couldnt get my networked printer to work so i rebooted. and thats when it hangs. the verbose boot screen is on forever. im using windows now :( help me dig me out of a grave.

TIA

You could try booting the fail-safe mode from the lilo menu, and then when at the command prompt, if you're sure it's cups causing the problem, then do this:

chkconfig cups off

Then verify it's off by doing:

chkconfig --list cups

and see if it's off against runlevels 3 and 5 at least. Then reboot to see if that gets your system up and running.

What have you got installed as part of cups?

rpm -qa | grep cups

have you got any printers installed? Or is nothing there as of yet? If a printer is installed, delete it in case it's causing the probs.

In terms of cups stuff, you should have the following installed:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cups
cups-common-1.1.23-17.2.20060mdk
cups-1.1.23-17.2.20060mdk
libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.0-1mdk
libgnomecups-0.2.0-1mdk
libcups2-1.1.23-17.2.20060mdk

you might not have the two gnome entries if you're not using gnome. And if you're list matches this, maybe do:

urpme cups

to remove cups, and then do the same process for the other installed items as well. Unless of course, it's asking to remove a dependency, then at that point don't remove it.

Providing that you have samba-client and samba-common installed, you'll be able to see shares/printers on Windows machines.

Once you've got this done, you should be able to then go into Configure Your Desktop/Peripherals/Printers, click the administrator mode button and enter root password.

Then you go for adding a new printer, and you'll give it the SMB share that windows expects which is normally something like \\machine\\printershare. Check the FAQ section for the samba guide and it might mention something about printing in here, but what I've mentioned should be enough to get you going.

You can test connectivity to the Windows machine by opening konqueror or the home icon on your desktop, and then typing in the address/url bar:

smb:/

at least I think it's a single slash, else try // instead at the end, and it should show your machine, which you can then double-click and hopefully see the printer.

I also had many problems with printer installation in mcc. The mcc allways hang down so I set up printer sharing manually by editing smb.conf. Then I thought that maybe if I update urpmi my problems will disappear - and they did. It updated the whole cups set of packages and some of samba packages too. So try to update if you haven't done that yet.