ATI Graphics driver Install Issue [solved]

oldnoob

I have started this new topic because my last one was a question and this is a problem.

I went to install via urpmi and I got:

[root@localhost everyone]# urpmi ati-xorg

The following packages can't be installed because they depend on packages

that are older than the installed ones:

dkms-2.0.5.9-3mdk

dkms-ati-8.26.18-0.1.20060plf

ati-xorg-8.26.18-0.1.20060plf

Continue? (Y/n) y

The package(s) are already installed

[root@localhost everyone]#

So I thought i would manually install proprietry driver, but 1, I dont know to install kernel headers, and 2, i went to install kernel source but I am not sure which one to select as I think my kernel is 2.6.12.19 (thats what it says in configure your desktop) and I dont see that in the list. Maybe I should choose 2.6-2..6.12.-22mdk?

I am using 2006 installed of a mandriva one live cd

Any ideas what is the best way to approach this problem would be appreciated.

To install, the kernel source needs to match your running kernel, so:

uname -r

will tell you what version of kernel your running. As an example, here is mine on Mandriva 2006:

[ian@europa ~]$ uname -r
2.6.12-24mdk
[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name kernel-source | grep 12.24
kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk:kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6.12.24mdk:kernel-source-stripped-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

the first command shows my running kernel, and the second searches the urpmi sources for kernel-source, and filtering with 12.24. To verify what kernel-source I've got installed, I used this command:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-source
kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk

which is why you can see I typed 12.24 and not 12-24 based on my running kernel version result.

An unfiltered search for the kernel-source, looks like this:

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name kernel-source
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6:kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6.12.23mdk:kernel-source-2.6.12.23mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6.12.23mdk:kernel-source-stripped-2.6.12.23mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk:kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6.12.24mdk:kernel-source-stripped-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6:kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586.rpm

I just filtered for simplicity and ease of seeing what was there. You'll notice that the kernel-source doesn't exist for 12.19 anymore, so if you have this as your running kernel, you need to upgrade your kernel. Make sure you added all your easyurpmi sources from the link at the top of this page (main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree) you only need the first three for kernel and updates, so now just do this:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.24mdk

and once installed, reboot your system. Use the uname command to verify you have this kernel running, and then do:

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk

and you'll all be done for this part. Then it's a case of installing your drivers after this.

If you already had your easyurpmi sources added, then do this first to make sure they are up-to-date:

urpmi.update -a

to update all added repositories, and then install the kernel and kernel-source after this.

You should be able to use dkms after this, so try:

urpmi dkms-ati

and then go from there. Of course, if it failed before, might have been due to lack of easyurpmi sources, especially plf-free and plf-nonfree where they reside. But I suggest you have all of them, as I mentioned earlier (main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree).

Well that all went smoothly (I think)

Just seen your last reply but I have already installed proprietry driver, all my urpmi sources were set up properly afew weeks ago.

Just tried google earth and it is heaps better than before, so I "assume" it is all working properly.

Is that enough to know that 3D rendering is working? or is there something else I can do?

Also, it said about installing a control panel, which I "assume" is a gui for controlling settings. If so where do I find it?

ps card is a 9250

Thanks

You can check with a few commands, such as these:

glxinfo | grep direct

will tell you if direct rendering is enabled, you should get a yes, and not mesa indirect, as performance is pants with that. Another small, but not particularly accurate test is:

glxgears

from the command prompt, and then let it run for a bit, maybe 5-10 seconds or so, and then close the window and see the output in the terminal/konsole window and get a rough idea of the FPS.

glxinfo | grep direct

I did get a yes

glxgears I dont trust, as the fps varies lots. Now I get between 1000+ - 1200+ frames, where as before I installed the driver I got between 700+ - 1500+ fps (checking at various times)

Considering google earth works fantastic now compared to before, I would say it is a success

Thanks lots

Pete