Kded

Urza9814

I've been noticing a process called Kded....and it's really quite annoying.

By 'I've been noticing it', I mean whenever my computer starts running slow, I open ksysguard and sort by CPU usage, and Kded is right there at the top at about 80%. I kill it, and everything's fine again. So I'm wondering....I can kill it with no ill effects it seems....so what excatly is it, and how to I stop it from running?

I'm not sure but isn't this some indexing service within kde, I think I heard of it, when there were problems with kat

From the Ars forum http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/fo.../m/513004357731

kded is the service daemon.

kded

kded is a generic KDE daemon. It has the ability to load various service modules and run these in the background. Each kded service module is described by a .desktop file installed under $KDEDIR/share/services/kded/ The Service Manager in the Control Center can be used to monitor the status of the service modules and to disable certain services.

Sounds like kded is needed. It is running on my Mandriva 2005 system without causing any system sluggishness.

I dunno...I usually kill it and nothing happens. But it usually starts up again on it's own later. It doesn't always cause problems....usually the CPU usage for it is around 8%...but whenever my computer does start running slow, it's ALWAYS because of Kded..

Maybe I should just switch to IceWM...lol

If you are running mdv 2006, I hope you disabled/uninstalled kat; it's a huge resource hog and very buggy. Kat is a kde advanced indexing search service that probably runs from kded. Kat has brought many a system to its knees and the overwhelming consensus has been that this beta software should have never been included in the mdv 2006 default installation.

Since kded initiates services then maybe the answer is to look for those service/services that are unnecessarily causing the slowdown.

Open MCC....Services and untick those services that appear to be set for running but are not really needed to be run. Then if needs be, untick some other doubtful ones one at a time until you locate the handicapper.

Cheers. John.

Since kded initiates services then maybe the answer is to look for those service/services that are unnecessarily causing the slowdown.

Open MCC....Services and untick those services that appear to be set for running but are not really needed to be run. Then if needs be, untick some other doubtful ones one at a time until you locate the handicapper.

Cheers. John.

I don't think the kded services show up in MCC, you have to use the service manager in kcontrol, but yeah it's a good idea to disable them one by one...

Edited by ffi