Many a slip twixt CUPS...

payasam

MDV 2006, Win 98 SE. My main printer, a Samsung ML-1450, works as it should in Win but not in MDV. The lines it prints are of the correct density at the right edge of the paper but become faint at the left edge. Removed and installed again. Got the same result with Foomatic + pxlmono, which is recommended, as with Foomatic + lj4dith. In MCC, the message "Could not install the CUPS printing system" was followed, without any action on my part, by "Restarting CUPS". How can something re-start which is not installed? In StarOffice 7, CTL-P brings up "Generic Printer", though the ML-1450 is an option. Both behave in the same way. In the same software in Windows, no trouble.

I have problems with my Canon printer, in that the text is completely grey. I can only think it's the actual ppd I'm using, but I don't know of any other alternatives, than to get a commercial printing option which costs some money.

It sounds similar to yours, although you're not completely affected like I am. Does your printer support alternative generations of drivers for your printer. Sometimes, well, with HP printers you can use alternatives that are more or less the same and still get decent printouts. I think I can with my Canon one, but not tried.

Sorry that I can't help any more than that.

Messy business, Ian. Density OK at right edge, low (but text still quite readable) at left edge. Printer works as it should in Windows. It gave no trouble in MDK 10.0 and 10.1 either.