How to tell if both CPUs are running ?

Relic2K

I spent the last 2 days installing Mandrake 9.1 rc 1, with a new 120 Gig drive which gives me a total of 200 Gigs of space now. My problems is that the system is running slower, and I am not seeing the option in Lilo/Grup to boot the SMP Kernel ? Is there a way to check for sure whether I am running both CPUs or not ? And why has the SMP kernel been removed from the boot up process in 9.1 ? Thanks.

type 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'. You should get info for 2 cpus. If the kernel isn't compiled with SMP support, you'll see info for only 1 cpu.

Here is the ouput for my server:

[gd@localhost gd]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel

cpu family      : 6

model           : 1

model name      : Pentium Pro

stepping        : 7

cpu MHz         : 199.435

cache size      : 256 KB

fdiv_bug        : no

hlt_bug         : no

f00f_bug        : no

coma_bug        : no

fpu             : yes

fpu_exception   : yes

cpuid level     : 2

wp              : yes

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov

bogomips        : 397.31

processor       : 1

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel

cpu family      : 6

model           : 1

model name      : Pentium Pro

stepping        : 7

cpu MHz         : 199.435

cache size      : 256 KB

fdiv_bug        : no

hlt_bug         : no

f00f_bug        : no

coma_bug        : no

fpu             : yes

fpu_exception   : yes

cpuid level     : 2

wp              : yes

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov

bogomips        : 398.13

I guess you'll have to install the SMP kernel manually if it isn't in /boot already.

MOtTS

I'm sure you can install the SMP kernel from RPMDrake. Take a look at it and install it. You'll probably have to modify Lilo after the installation according to what is new in /boot.

If they didn't include an SMP kernel with RC1, install the kernel-source and recompile the kernel with SMP support... your computer will be happy after that :wink:

Good luck

MOttS

Okay got everything installed now and I have an option to choose that kernel in the boot up (lilo). When I boot into the smp kernel, I can no longer go into X, I am having problems with the nviida drivers. Did you run into this problem too MottS ? I tried to remove the packages and recompile them from src, and reinstall them, but even this is giving me a problem now. Any ideas ?

Okay got everything installed now and I have an option to choose that kernel in the boot up (lilo). When I boot into the smp kernel, I can no longer go into X, I am having problems with the nviida drivers. Did you run into this problem too MottS ? I tried to remove the packages and recompile them from src, and reinstall them, but even this is giving me a problem now. Any ideas ?

I only installed 9.1RC1 on a uniprocessor machine. Didn't install it on my server yet .. I'll wait 9.1 final. However I got problems compiling the nVidia drivers too. The rpmbuild command was complaining about IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH. So I did the following. Hope this will works for you..

1) Remove any instance of the nVidia driver by typing the following as root

rpm -ev --nodeps NVIDIA_GLX

rpm -ev --nodeps NVIDIA_kernel

2) Make sure the 'kernel-source' and 'rpmrebuilder' are installed from rpmdrake...

3) type the following as root to satisty the compiler and compile the driver

export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_*

4) As root again, type the following to install the driver. .. you know that one right?

rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_*

It will probably work this way too on a multi-processor machine... hopefully for you .. :wink:

Hope this help

MOTtS

MottS;

Got it all running now. I had to use the "rpm -ev --nodeps --allmatches NVIDIA_*"

to get all instances of it removed properly. Once this was done, I was able to get the drivers installed and running properly again. Thanks for the help :wink:

MottS;

Got it all running now. I had to use the "rpm -ev --nodeps --allmatches NVIDIA_*"

to get all instances of it removed properly. Once this was done, I was able to get the drivers installed and running properly again. Thanks for the help  :wink:

Cool :D

Did you use the 'export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true' or gcc were happy enough ? .. just curious because I installed RC1 on two uni-processor boxes and I had to use that command in both cases.

MOttS