can't find source for 2.6.12-19mdk 1gb i586

I just installed the one cd and am trying to find the source to my kernel so I can get my nvidia drivers on etc..

Can someone point me in the correct direction?

have I made an install error?

thanks in advance.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

you have to install it - kerne sources aren't automatically installed. you should set up your sources with easy-urpmi (top right of this page) you should be able to find it in the Install Software portion of Mandriva Control Center.

i'm not currently at my linux box, but looking at the updates repo it seems -19 isn't available anymore. they have:

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6.12.23mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

so you may need to update your kernel, then grab the kernel-source for it.

I am pretty certain that if you did the install from a cdrom then the matching kernel Source for the kernel you installed should be on the cdrom as well.

Insert the cdrom and go through the rpm list and you should soon find the matching kernel source. Just click on the rpm and follow the pop ups directions.

There will not be any dependency problem so the install will be simple and quick.

Cheers. John.

I am pretty certain that if you did the install from a cdrom then the matching kernel Source for the kernel you installed should be on the cdrom as well.

IIRC, Mandriva stopped including the kernel-source in the CDs, especially the Mandriva ONE Live CD.

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk.i586.rpm

It's funny that this filename hints that the kernel source is OK for kernel 2.6 up to 2.6.12-22 going by the filename. It's also funny to notice that the new kernel sources:

kernel-source-2.6.12.23mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

are listed exactly for the version of kernel available. I believe they've (Mandriva) now started to make things easier. I know for a fact, if you try and use the first kernel I quoted, it has to be kernel-2.6.12.22mdk else the source doesn't work because it somehow knows it's different to your previous kernel-2.6.12.19mdk or whatever you have installed. This meant it forced you to upgrade your kernel to get the source to work. Now it doesn't.

When I've done updates in the past, the kernel-source was always automatically updated, and then compiling of modules failed, so you had to upgrade the kernel as well to get it to work with the source. Now you have more options available, and the updates for the kernel source aren't automatically applied because of their new naming convention. This means you'll always have a workable kernel and kernel-source and won't be forced to upgrade. Unless of course, they revert back again.

Hello Tyme.

I can't speak with certainty about the Mandriva Live 1 but I have always installed the kernel source from Mandriva2005 and 2006 cdrom sets every time as a normal install routine. This way I have been able to do the Nvidia driver install during the first reboot. Later on I do the updates including the kernel source.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn