black prompt after install

Guest Danielsan

Guest Danielsan

Hey Nerds

decided to try the Linux mandrake.

now i'm stuck with some Prompt after the install.

does any of you reconizge the prblm....

help me

Hey newbie!

Sounds like your graphics card wasn't configured correctly during the installation.

But maybe you'd like to provide some more information. Your post isn't very informative.

So maybe, let's start with what version of Mandrake you have? Also, what video card you have?

And if you find newbie offensive, maybe you shouldn't refer to people as nerds. Otherwise, don't expect a response. Want help, be nice, trust me it works ;)

Okay, I will add some first steps you can take (then, this post is not that uninformative :D ):

When you are dropped to the prompt, log in as root. enter "root", followed by the password, which will be masked. Once you are running as root, type

XFdrake

and try to set up a working graphical environment with the configuration tool. You can check the settings if they work or not. If everything fails, try to set up a simple "vesa" graphics card. If you still don't get a working graphical environment, post your hardware specifications (gfx, monitor), the Mandriva version you are running and if you have already updated the system (It can be due to the experimental Xorg package if you are running Mdv 2006).