ISO Burning [solved]

Guest modestgeek

Guest modestgeek

I have the ZIP file of disc 1 of mandriva 2006, so what do I do now? Do I unzip the files and write them to CD? Sorry if I sound appallingly stupid, but I am very new at this....

Edited by modestgeek

Guest modestgeek

I got it from LinuxISO.org. I downloaded a folder that opens with WinRAR, and don't know what to do next. Inside the folder theres loads of files, and a few folders.

EDIT: I have found a file called boot.iso....is this the one I should burn to disc?

Edited by modestgeek

The file you have downloaded is an ISO, not a zip file. Winrar opens it, because it's associated with the .iso file extension.

Simply burn the file you have downloaded as an image to a CD-R, there is nothing to extract if you don't want to waste media and time.

An easy to use program under windows to burn ISO images of CD's and DVD's is imgburn - nicely working and free of charge.

Guest modestgeek

Thank you Scarecrow!! My problem was simply that I assumed it was a zip file because ISO files are associated with WinRAR. It works, I'm in the middle of the installation now!! Thank you again for your time and help.

This problem seems to be more common than I ever imagined.

I wonder if we can ever overcome this problem. Maybe the mentioned download site could make a much more noticeable statement that regardless of what Windows might do and call it, the Download is an ISO and must not be altered.

The site mentioned does give great info but long time Windows users still often make too many assumptions and I am sure do not understand that LINUX is different to Windows in how things are done.

What consoles me is that the ex Windows users, in the main, do seem to try to get it right.

Cheers. John.