Wireless connectivity trouble [solved]

eyeh8windows

Hi all, it's time for another fun filled installment of "why doesn't this work!"

Ok, I have a wireless card (WMP54Gv4) which is set up with ndiswrapper via the following method:

1) ndiswrapper -i Rt2500.INF

2) modprobe ndiswrapper

3) ndiswrapper -m

I didn't have any errors during this setup, however, after all this I went to control center/setup network interface/wireless connection/ndiswrapper/choose the driver....but i get an error that says the ndiswrapper interface isn't there. What do I do now?

update: It can see the access point and I can ping it...just cant figure what else to do...any help would be appreciated. Also, it's set up for open access and assigning static IP's.

update: I can log into the wireless router's setup page via 192.168.1.1 so I know all settings are good, why the heck can't I get on the internet?

update: from what i've been hearing either my resolv.conf file or /sbin/route is hosed up, or both. either way, i've been trying to work with those two but i lack the technical expertise to get it done right. i've tried "man route" but it's not very intuitive. maybe if someone could offer a step-by-step example of what I need to do I could get it.

WOW!!!

Well after four consecutive days of banging my head on my keyboard I finally figured it out! Thanks to tyme and luke for the assistance! There must be hundreds of others out there (google search) that had a similar problem as I did so I hope this post gets lots of use!

O.k., here's how I did it:

1.) Got the drivers from the web (try driverguide.com or LinkSys.com) and un-packaged them.

2.) Ran (as root) ndiswrapper -i Rt2500.INF

3.) Ran (as root) modprobe ndiswrapper

4.) Ran (as root) ndiswrapper -m

At this point I had to configure the specific connection properties so I did the following:

Please note: my wireless router was set up with open access and disabled DHCP to make the set up easier. Control Center was no help using Control Center->Network & Internet->Set up a new network interface->Wireless->ndiswrapper->choose the driver; this caused an error stating that the ndiswrapper interface could not be found. So, I had to manually configure the connection properties via iwconfig and ifconfig. I had to set each property individually like this (ran as root): iwconfig ra0 essid "myessidwenthere", iwconfig ra0 mode Managed, iwconfig ra0 channel 6. From here I ran (as root) "/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1". (without the quotes). Then I ran (as root) ifconfig ra0 up.

Next I had to set up the nameserver entry in resolv.conf (thanks tyme!). My resolv.conf file only had "search localhost". I deleted it and replaced it with "search mydomainwashere.com (next line) -> nameserver 192.168.1.1" saved and it worked fine.

You may have to reboot to make the changes take affect. In this case you will need to re-run /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's IP is).

Edited by eyeh8windows