Google Earth

shimshon

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed the latest beta for GoogleEarth 4, I use Mandriva 2006.0 free, I have an ATI Radeon 9200 (M9+) 5C63 with the standard drivers from the Mandirva install DVD. I tryed a few 3D (opengl / sdl) games, all worked fine. GoogleEarth 4 Beta instead has a strange problem. The image of Earth is flickering continuesly and I see in the console some messages like:

15.058395: Texture TILE took 10.78ms to create.

I have a P3 at 1.1GHZ and 378MB SDRAM, but when googleearth is running, cpu useige is about 60% only and memory is about 200MB. So, everithings look OK, but the image is flickering. I tryed all the possible settings from GE.

I don't know what to try next. If I install the linux drivers from ATI do I risk problems with already installed games? Also, I heard that ATI drivers from ATI website are not as good as they should be - at least for linux.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just got round to installing this, because until recently my graphics performance was too lousy to think it worth bothering. But I installed it last night, and I have to say - wow.

My network speed is still a bit too low but I'd have to recommend at least trying it out, just to see what it does, it's quite incredible. It did crash once, for no discernable reason, but I hammered it pretty hard flying over mountains and lakes and valleys, round the world and back again, with a big grin on my face :) and it didn't crash again.

Some of the fine-grain detail is patchy, missing from some places, and the search is surprisingly a bit wonky, but as mentioned before this is beta. And I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the 3d terrain data, even for non-US locations.

:thumbs:

Guest RobbMandr
I just installed the latest beta for GoogleEarth 4, I use Mandriva 2006.0 free, I have an ATI Radeon 9200 (M9+) 5C63 with the standard drivers from the Mandirva install DVD. I tryed a few 3D (opengl / sdl) games, all worked fine. GoogleEarth 4 Beta instead has a strange problem. The image of Earth is flickering continuesly and I see in the console some messages like:

15.058395: Texture TILE took 10.78ms to create.

I have a P3 at 1.1GHZ and 378MB SDRAM, but when googleearth is running, cpu useige is about 60% only and memory is about 200MB. So, everithings look OK, but the image is flickering. I tryed all the possible settings from GE.

I don't know what to try next. If I install the linux drivers from ATI do I risk problems with already installed games? Also, I heard that ATI drivers from ATI website are not as good as they should be - at least for linux.

Yes I have exactly the same problem... Mandriva 2006 official, regurarly updated... P4 2.6GHz, 1G RAM, video card Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02); i've tried Korora live and XGL works great, so i think with the Mandriva 2007 I should have no problem in 3D effects... but googleearth cannot work!! when i launch it, i got no error, but the world is visualized only in the upper part of the screen, in a very narrow rettangular panel, u cannot see anything...I see in the konsole the same messages like u (a lot of this line with different numbers):

15.058395: Texture TILE took 10.78ms to create

i don't know what to do....

...the world is visualized only in the upper part of the screen, in a very narrow rettangular panel, u cannot see anything

Try resizing the window by dragging the corners. I found that helped trigger it to know how big the window was so it can make the display the right size.