10.0 to 2006 [solved]

rogerh

Hello,

Based on discussion here I am going to upgrade from 10.0 to 2006 (I am also running XP on another partition, which I hope not to touch). I have the 2006 3 CD download set and 2 CDs of all the current updates. I have a couple of questions....

Sounds like it is generally recommended to do a clean install rather than an upgrade - accurate statement??

I would like to retain my user info if possible - any tutorials on setting up the partitions to accomplish this?? I will burn a backup CD of my data just to make sure.

Any other things I should be concerned about during the upgrade to 2006? Any suggestions on how to approach the 2006 updates - none, all, or some logical approach??

Thanks for any help you can provide. Probably really simple, but it is a real pain to get caught in the middle and not be able to get on line and ask how to fix it.....

Roger

1. A clean install is best, especially from something as old as 10.0

2. If you have your home directory on its own partition just make sure you do not format /home and you will keep all your data and settings. If not save it somehow. If your HD is full you may have to put /home on a cd or dvd. If you don't have a separate /home partition and you have empty space in Win XP you can create a new linux partition by resizing the XP partition and using the freed space.

3. I don't think there will be any problems doing a full update (lots from the initial release). Don't forget that there are kernel updates that aren't done as part of the regular upgrades.

There's one main fundamental reason for *not* upgrading 10.0 mainly because it's based on devfsd. 10.1 onwards had udev, so if you had 10.1 installed on your machine, then an upgrade would be much easier. Otherwise, you have to screw around installing udev, then removing devfsd to get it to boot with the new stuff.

Even with later versions, I always recommend a clean install, just because you get little niggling problems. You may even find this when you leave your home directory because of the old KDE/Gnome settings that are in place. If you do, this is easily fixable, because we can just remove the config files and let it create a new KDE/Gnome config when you next run it.

However, once 2006 is installed, I recommend you get to easyurpmi, set up all your sources and then apply all updates.

devfsd is a major reason, indeed, but not the only one: The current versions of gcc, xorg (factly I can't even recall if 10.0 used xorg or xfree86! ) and glibc are also causing trouble with applications built with older versions.

Not that it's not doable (it certainly is), but I'd also recommend an installation from scratch being the easiest, cleanest way.

Sounds like a clean install for me. I've done a couple on prior versions with no trouble to speak of. I do have a seperate home partition - if there is any likelihood of retaining these and then the system locking up, then I would rather reload my user data on an operating system.

Could retaining the home user info end up locking up the 2006 install??

Regards -- Roger

Could retaining the home user info end up locking up the 2006 install??

Locking, no, causing trouble with your desktop environment - maybe. Config files may have changed since, which could also cause issues. I usually back up my important data and any themes that I don't want to have to hunt down again, and any configs I absolutely most keep (like my irssi config) and create a new home for the new install.

If the version difference was smaller (i.e. 2005LE -> 2006) I wouldn't be concerned, but, this is a somewhat large version jump so it's best to just back up important data and configs, do a clean install, and then load in any configs you kept and see if they work OK.