Mandrake 10.1 installation

Guest Ashmon

Guest Ashmon

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to Linux and I never had a dual-boot system so pe patient with me :).

I am currently running Windows XP SP2 on my 100G hd. My hd currently has one partition and I would like to install Mandrack 10.1 on the same hd.

How would I go about this without having to re-install XP?

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks in advance,

John

First, welcome to the board :beer:

Second, it's nice and easy. Boot from the Mandrake CD/DVD and then you can use Custom Disk partitioning to resize the Windows partition to something smaller, allowing you to install Mandrake.

I would however recommend you use Mandriva 2006 instead, as Mandrake 10.1 is old now, and updates are no longer available. If your hardware is new, you might even experience some problems with hardware detection.

Guest Ashmon

If I use the disk partitioning tool of Mandrake to re-size my windows partition,

Will it destroy some of my data ?

also, my system is about 2-3 years old, is that okay for Mandrake 10.1 or should I get Mandriva 2006 ?

Just to be on the safe side, make sure you back up your data first onto CD or whatever before you resize the partition - it should be no problem but a backup wouldn't hurt.

Personally I'd recommend newer than 10.1, there was a 2005 version and now the current 2006. For one thing, help will be easier to find from people who have the same system as you, if you have 10.1 then some suggestions you get might not work.

Also, note it's Mandrake, not Mandrick or Mandrack ! ;)

Your system will be better with 2006, and don't worry about the age: my 7-year-old computer runs just fine with it.

Re-sizing the partition just means chopping down the available space. If Windows plus data are taking up, say, 40GB then the Mandriva installer will give leave it with 40GB and take 60GB to make a Mandriva partition with (this is the option: use free space on the windows partition). You can manually adjust the amout of space that Windows has, but can't take it below the minimum that it needs to store OS+data.

There are a couple of things you need to do before installing so that the re-sizing happens OK. First, defrag and second turn off the paging file (you turn it on again once Mandy is installed). Both of these are in the documentation on the Mandriva site (it says it's for 10.1 but the installation walk-through is the same as for 2006).

Have fun!

NTFS resizing on DiskDrake works very well indeed, provided that a. your windows NTFS partition isn't too fragmented (run Windows defrag before attempting to insall Linux), and b. that you do not use NTFS compression and encryption- if you do, then disable both before NTFS resizing- else you are almost certainly assured losing data.