rsync problem with old files [solved]

ianw1974

I'm using rsync to synchronise a Mandriva mirror. It's working perfectly fine, but I have everything, including old versions of files.

I believe there is a parameter I can use which deletes files not on my machine that aren't on the host. I checked the host, and the files exist, but the parameter I'm using doesn't seem to work. I've currently got:

rsync -r --delete mirror stuff here my directory here

and it doesn't seem to delete. I think maybe I'm doing something wrong, any ideas as to what I'm missing?

Doesn't the archive permission preserve permissions only? If so, maybe I could just not use this and just the "u" parameter instead. I use "r" for recursive, do I need this too?

Incidently, how does the exact format of you line look? Here is mine:

rsync -r --delete rsync://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandriva/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/* /home/ftp/pub/
mirrors/mandriva/updates/

I'm just wondering if my source/destination format is wrong as well.

I'm just wondering if my source/destination format is wrong as well.

It's a long time since I've used rsync, but I think the problem may be with your source format. Try this:

anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk:Mandriva/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/

Note, I've no idea if the host is running an rsync service or not.

It's running, I'm currently rsync'ing without any problems other than these, I'll try a different format to see if that does the trick.

Well, I've found the problem. If I read the man page properly, I would have answered my own question, duh! :lol2:

Right, here it is. The reason it fails is because of my source having the * at the end of the line. You have to have it to pull the full directory, so removing the * solved the problem. My script now reads:

rsync -r --delete rsync://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandriva/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ /home/ftp/pub/
mirrors/mandriva/updates/

and it's now working fine :P