BBC radio.. or any other [solved]

laiback

I thought I'd try to listen to some of the BBC radio broadcasts, either live or replay. Guess I should have known better as nothing is obvious or straightforward in Linux is it?. I have Realplayer 10 installed on my Mandriva 2006 system. I also have CD sound which works, so the speakers are OK. However, when I load the BBC player off the BBC site I get no sound. After reading the other topics on the issue the only thing I partially understood was the idea of putting the 2 files nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt in the firefox directory. I did a search and the only firefox directory I could find was in my own user area under ./monzilla . So I copied the 2 files into there. No difference I'm afraid, still silence, even after a reboot. Also, how do I know whether Realplayer is an active plugin in Firefox on my system?

Have you any ideas please?

Grateful thanks from a frustrated newbie

:wall:

I use 2005LE and Mozilla, and I have no problems with the BBC streams. I didn't need mplayer to do it, it's all realplayer.

Did you also install real-codecs? Maybe this could be the problem with "laiback".

I have Firefox and select no Real Player but WM Player and all is OK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

or use gxine plugins

find / -name gxineplugin.so 2>/dev/null

[lex@localhost ~]$ find / -name gxineplugin.so 2>/dev/null

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gxineplugin.so

make symbolic link to Yor Firefox Plugin folder

....Lex

Edited by Lexicon

Did you also install real-codecs? Maybe this could be the problem with "laiback".

Nope.

$ rpm -qa | grep -i "real"
RealPlayer-10.0.5.756-20050513

I recommend running 'alsaconf'.

Oke, it was just a thought.

Did you install mplayer and mplayerplugin with "urpmi"?

I don't have mplayer, I installed Realplayer.

I use 2005LE and Mozilla, and I have no problems with the BBC streams. I didn't need mplayer to do it, it's all realplayer.

I'm using Realplayer too, did you do anything special?

Well folks, I'm pleased to tell you that it is now working. Not only for sound but video as well.

Why?, that I cannot tell you. I was working through the ideas above but did not believe that I made any actual changes, when all of a sudden I had sound, so many thanks for your ideas and time.

Wonder what I did wrong in the first place and how did I correct it?, maybe time will tell.

:D

Problem solved