networking is all screwed up after ndiswrapper

flarefox

I have been using ethernet, but when I tried to use ndiswrapper, things got weird. I got a belkin wireless-N card. It works with linux ndiswrapper just fine. I got it working once, but as soon as I disconnected my eth0, ndiswrapper freaked out. I can't get wlan0 to go up again and even ifconfig, iwconfig, and drakconnect freeze... No window or anything. It just freezes. I tried going into modprobe.conf and entering:

install ndiswrapper /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper && { loadndisdriver 168c 0023 /etc/ndiswrapper/net5416/ar5416.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/net5416/net5416.inf; }

I also wanted eth0 and eth1 to shut off and eth3 (network) to stay on. Does anyone know what the problem is? The card works just fine in linux from what I saw, even after unpluggin the eth3 cord I had wlan0 until I reboot.

wlan0 seems to be linked to null instead of the ndiswrapper driver. Strange. :( No matter what I do, every time I reboot it uses null instead of ndiswrapper...

Edited by flarefox

Try adding this:

ndiswrapper

to /etc/modprobe.preload. Also check /etc/modprobe.conf and make sure you have:

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

but you definitely need in the modprobe.preload to get it to work on reboots.

I'd double check /etc/modprobe.conf to make sure there is no alias wlan0 eth0 or something along those lines, or that it's not pointing to ndiswrapper, but the module name for your ethernet card instead.

I edited modprobe.conf and now it looks like this:

alias eth0 forcedeth
remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
alias eth1 sk98lin
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_nv; /sbin/modprobe sata_sil24; /bin/true
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true
alias eth2 eth1394
alias eth3 eth1394
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

So, now it works better, but the link quality is 0 so no data is transferring through the interface. I'm not sure why, either. If I do an iwconfig:

wlan0	 IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"DeePC"
	  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
	  Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
	  Encryption key:off
	  Power Management:off
	  Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
	  Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
	  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

if I do an ifconfig:

wlan0	 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:50:F6:C0:D3
	  inet addr:192.168.1.50  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
	  inet6 addr: fe80::211:50ff:fef6:c0d3/64 Scope:Link
	  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
	  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
	  RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
	  Interrupt:22 Memory:feaf0000-feb00000

Is that what it's supposed to say?

I'd disable ipv6, I don't like those inet6 entries, that don't really serve any purpose - at least as of yet as most if not all hardware anyone uses is for ipv4. Anyway, that's not too important :P

Disable ipv6 with adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

and reboot. Check your connection, see if you get anything back. Also, check the ndiswrapper installation wiki. This is great, I used this and followed the steps after compile (I never compiled I used the Mandriva package with urpmi). Sometimes ipv6 causes connectivity problems.

That did nothing. No essid, not link quality. I can't even see wireless networks. Weird. Oh well, I'm sure it will get fixed in the future. My card is probably too new. I mean, I know it works because I have two of them and with one I can scan and see networks, just not get any data through, and with this one I can't see networks, but at times I can get data through even though I'm "not connected" to anything. hahaha I mean, I'm using one of these new MIMO cards, so I never expected it to work really well, but I hoped, you know?