yum alternative here? [solved]

ahmad

hi,,,,

i new with Linux... i tried Fedora C5 but i found it too hard for me to setup any thing...

now i trieng Mandriva 2006.. i like it... but as far as i have no idea (yet) about how to install programs... so i looking for a way to Download and Install thunderbird Automaticly ... without doing all the hard work...

in Fedora... i used yum to install... i read here i can use urpmi...

is it true?

how?

or is there any Automatic way to install the package without doing much Konsole work?!

:unsure:

thanks...

Every distro (okay almost every distro, to be correct) has a package manager of some kind. Fedora used yum by default, Mandriva ships with urpmi. You can install software using two ways, one is using a terminal (and as such only using the keyboard) while the other is using the graphical frontend for it. If you go to your menu, go to system → preferences → Configure your computer. If you click that icon, the Mandriva-control-center (MCC) will be launched. With that tool you can install, upgrade and remove packages with a simple mouseclick. You can also configure there from where you want to download packages.

The best way for gaining access to over 13 000 packages is to go to the easyurpmi site (Link is at the top right side of this page: http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php), then select your mirrors fro Mandriva 2006 for i586 architecture (unless you have a 64 bit processor or a Mac) and off you go. Copy and paste the information you are given there in a terminal as root user (type "su" for login, then enter root password (it is masked) and hit enter) and let the computer do the rest.

If you want to use the terminal for installing and upgrading your system instead of the MCC, then from a terminal launch

urpmi <packagename> for installing an application

urpme <packagename> for erasing the package from your comp

urpmi --auto-select for a complete system upgrade

urpmi --help will explain more detailed how it all works. But I suggest that you install the software with the MCC for now, once the mirrors are set up.

If you still have questions, just ask and/or check the links in my signature. :)

thanks sir...

i did as you suggested....

i went to Easy urpmi config for Mandriva Linux.. i copied the code into my trminal...

itś downloading stuff for 30 mnts now...! and i don know what it is? itś a confegration for urpmi to make it ready to install application?! then what if i type urpmi firefox?

whatĺl happen?

and what about program ie already downloaded to my desktop? can i use MCC to install it? or urpmi?

why to make urpmi Download a new programs while i already have the package on my compter?

and at MCC there is the 4th Icon which is:Select from where the backage were downloaded.. it gives me the opertunety to chose places to get my applications from... can i use this? by adding a new source?!

thanks alot

Main and contrib are the biggies, at around 25MB each if compressed index isn't chosen. I always use compressed now, since the packages will still have a description with the compressed index.

If your connection is slow, EasyUrpmi can take a long time. Next time you may want to use the "compressed index" option, which downloads less data. You'll find this at the end of step 2. :)

i did it with compressed Data.... i think itś done by now... itś not doing any thing for 5 mnts...

i opened a new Konsole Window...

and i typed

su

Password

urpmi mozella thundebird

it WORKING!!!!

thanks guys....

Downloading....

but .. why cant i find it at MCC? i only find Old thunderbird...

how to use the Easy MCC to download and Automaticly install a new applications?!

thanks again!

You should be able to by clicking System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software. This is the same as using mcc, but much quicker I find.

All your software will be listed here, that you just added with easyurpmi. This program uses urpmi in the background, it's just a GUI frontend.

here is my exact steps on Konsole:

su:

pass:

urpmi muzilla-thunderbird

http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/Man...060mdk.i586.rpm

5% of 11.2M completed, ETA = 0:11:23, spee^[d = 11612

99% of 11.2M complinstalling mozilla-thunderbird-1.0.6-7.6.20060mdk.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

Preparing... #############################################

1/1: mozilla-thunderbird #############################################

[root@**************************** ahmad]#

Display all 2680 possibilities? (y or n)

and thatś all!!

now i still have the same old thuderbird... not the new one...

nd i don know how to add a new software..

back to 0 point... :wall:

any help?

:mellow:

You should be able to by clicking System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software. This is the same as using mcc, but much quicker I find.

All your software will be listed here, that you just added with easyurpmi. This program uses urpmi in the background, it's just a GUI frontend.

idid sir....

it contains only the old firefox (1.0.6) and old thunderbird (1.0.6)....

it suppose to be updatet with the final releaces right?

something went wrong i guess....

and the same happened with urmpi...

You won't get Thunderbird 1.5 if that's what you're after. You'd have to download that directly from Mozilla themselves, or wait for Mandriva 2007.

i seee.....

is it doesn work only for Muzilla products?!?

or there are some extra applications i can use this way do download?

i not into downloading firefox that much... i treing to learn how to install/update using Mandriva

is it really the easiest Linux around... or itś a little hard for a newcommer?

Ian is correct. However one thing should be pointed out: When you use the MCC to install packages, there are three ways of listing packages. A: Mandriva selection, B: Alphabetical listing, C: Group listing. The Mandriva selection will afaik only show the packages that are in a default Mandriva installation available. Packages like Openoffice 2 (release 1.9) which got added later will only be visible with option B or C.

As I said, Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5 isn't there, but the packages are up to date in terms of security fixes. Or, wait for Mandriva 2007 at the end of this year.

You'll need to download them direct from Mozilla.

is it really the easiest Linux around... or itś a little hard for a newcommer?

Mandriva is one of the easiest distros around, so try to stick to it now. We will gladly help you learning the Linux-basics until you feel comfortable and know your way round in Linux. If you want to get frustrated, try one of the "hard" distros, like pure Debian, Gentoo, Arch, Slackware and such. :D