Strange Bug?

sjaglin

Hi There!

Whilst experimenting with kiosk, I had to install a version of mandriva one on a separate partition from my "main" one. My main partition is sda6 with mandriva 2006 free installed and updated since a few month. Very stable until now. I have three users on this partition, root, me (stephane) and my "guru" tof from cooker.

On sda7 I installed mandriva one, updated it with mdvonline and installed kde 3.5 via kiosk (it worked as it is the kiosk club version). All good, I also updated the kernel and the source to 2.6.12-22mdk on sda7 to install the latest nvidia drivers.

Then I rebooted on my original sda6 (mandriva 2006 free) all good to start then when I start kde it wouldn t start on my account saying that I had no rights to write on my /home/stephane/.kde! So I entered kde using root and discovered that the whole tree on sda6 /home/stephane had been switched to belonging to tof.tof! (my other user). Strange! So I did smthng like chown -R /home/stephane/* and restarted kde. It started and all was right until I tried to use root (or su) while under my session of kde : the root password is not recognised anymore!.

So to resume : If I boot on root (kde or failsafe) it works fine. If I boot on kde with stephane's account the root (or su) password is not recognised!

Help, I ve never seen anything like that, all works well but I can't update or install anything!

Cheers Stef.

Your permissions are messed up. Or, you may be using that rediculous paranoid security setting. I would look there first. Use the "normal" security setting.

Your permissions are messed up. Or, you may be using that rediculous paranoid security setting. I would look there first. Use the "normal" security setting.

Hi,

I dropped the security to "poor" and still can t use root when under my user stephane. Any other ideas? I agree it's my permissions which must be wrong.

Stef

Sounds like a little mismatch with the uid's from 2006 and Mandriva One.

Check /etc/passwd for your stephane and tof accounts on both 2006 and Mandriva One. I bet your stephane one matches the tof one on Mandriva One or something like that.

cat /etc/passwd

I would then use the command:

usermod

to modify the uid for the tof on Mandriva One, so that it's the same as the uid in the 2006 installation, and then hopefully you should be OK. The usermod command will have a parameter to pass to change the uid. I would also do the same for the gid as well, check this against /etc/group unless it's listed in /etc/passwd. The first number is uid, the second is gid from memory.

Thanks Ian, I knew you wouldn't leave me in the mud!

The thing is , when all that happened I removed the user tof, now I only have myself and root.

I had a look at /ets/passwd, it looks a bit hairy for me, I ll have a look tomorrow but I think you've got it right!

Ta!

Stef

:D

Just one thing, don't edit the file manually. It links in with shadow passwords, and therefore everything will get screwed. I know, I did it once on a Red Hat install.

Sometimes, you can use vi to edit /etc/passwd, but then you need to update shadow passwords accordingly before logging out of the system. It's far easier though, to use "usermod" and let the system do the rest :P

Hope it does work, and it is what I thought, unfortunately, the only thing that I can think that is causing it.