No graphical login any more!

neddie

Very weird things afoot.

Suddenly when I boot my laptop (Mandriva 2005LE), it doesn't boot into a graphical login screen where I click on my name, enter password and it goes into X, but it dumps me to a black terminal login instead. What happened? I haven't changed anything, the only thing I installed yesterday were two packages from the update tool, can't remember now what they were but they didn't seem to change anything. Now I just get a grotty login :sad:

So when I log in this terminal, and do 'startx', KDE comes up and everything looks normal. I can go into mcc and the "Choose your display manager" bit - it's set to MdkKDM as before and I've tried setting it and rebooting without effect. It looks like it's trying to start X when it boots, but for some reason it's failing. I'm guessing it's probably spat out some error messages into some log, but I don't know where to look :sad:

Can anyone help??

Edited by neddie

Thanks!

Can't see anything useful in there though, it looks like everything has started up properly (as far as I can tell, I can't see any nasty-looking error messages). It looks like that's the stuff it spat out when X started properly when I typed "startx". And the same in Xorg.0.log.old.

I've just noticed I've now got no battery indicator on the taskbar or multiple keyboard layouts either, but I've no idea whether that is related.

/var/log/xorg.0.log

The same issue is plaguing me. Yesterday, updates were installed also. startx won't go to a gui. The following is what shows up.

********************************************************************************

xauth: creating new authority file /home/user/.serverauth.4990

Module Loader present

Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line, (NI) not implement, (??) unknown.

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed June 14 18:38:40 2006 (==) using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Using vt7

Fulfilled via DRI at 19266560

Freed 19266560

Waiting for X server to shut down Freed 19266560 (pool 1)

********************************************************************************

What caused this to happen and how can it be fixed?

The following was found in another forum and may help someone else.

Just found libfreetype6-2.1.10-9.3.20060mdk.i586.rpm on the update mirrors, and it seems to fix the problem. Looks like they backed out one of the patches the earlier package applied.

Aha! :thumbs:

Did another update and sure enough it found libfreetype stuff. And that reminds me, I'm pretty sure that was the two packages which had been previously updated. So there's your culprit. After the update everything seems back to normal again. :unsure:

Thanks, Sunsela!! :thumbs:

neddie,

You're welcome and thanks for your original post. That let me know I wasn't the only one having that issue. From now on, I'll wait a little bit before updating.

Luckily, I knew just enough to use the command line to update. The very first time I've ever updated like that.

Sunsela