Mandrake 10.1 on Compaq - Wireless connectivity

Hey Everyone,

Im running Mandrake 10.1 official on a Compaq Presario 2500 (2580US)

I cannot recognize the wireless Card built into the laptop. When I research the

model for the network adapter on compaqs website it is a (Broadcom WLAN Network Adapter)

It has a windows driver download for it but that is all. Is there any way i can use that driver. ndiswrapper or soemthing? not really sure on this one. Can anyone point me into the right direction?

This is a common laptop wireless device and ndiswrapper works just fine. 10.1 is a little dated; I do not remember if the Mandrake tools have a setup for it. You may have to configure it manually. Mandriva 2006 has the gui configuration in the MCC.

Thanks for the reply.

I dont think ndiswrapper comes with 10.1 do I need it?

ALso in mcc it gives me a list of adapters. Im not sure which one to use.

i tryed clicking the ones that said broadcom next to it but they all failed.

Is there a way to find out which one i need?

Well i got ndiswrapper compiled but im not sure how to work it. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or post similar. im not even sure if this is what im supposed to be doing yet. I got all the sys files and inf files from the windows driver off the compaq website onto the linux box aswell

Mandriva 2006 supports ndiswrapper by default without the need for compiling, and I find it works really well for me. Some people have had problems, saying that it's broke in 2006, but I'm not sure if this is pre-applying updates, or with updates applied too. I had no problems though.

The guide ix gave is good, and is what I always use when installing ndiswrapper. However, since I use Mandriva 2006, I ignore the compiling section, and continue from installing the driver and activating the card from there, since:

urpmi ndiswrapper

allows me to install the package without compiling. Also, as ix said, 10.1 is dated now, and no longer supported so updates will be very thin if any now. Mandriva 2006 is probably a best bet if you get lots of problems trying to get it to work. This is due to be replaced around November time with 2007.