Cannot build cdemu

I am trying to build cdemu (a program for mounting .bin files) http://cdemu.org/ , though the instructions are not very clear and I end up with a build that doesn´t work. I get the following error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-1mdk'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.16-1mdk/Module.symvers

is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

The following bit from the installation is very cryptic to me:

#*#*#*#*#*# #*# 2 #*# you need the source of your current running kernel. /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include needs to point at it. if you're not sure if it points to the righ kernel just type: ls -la /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build if its the correct kernel source all is ok. ;-)

the output from the command is:

/lib/modules/2.6.16-1mdk-i686-up-4GB/build -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.16-1mdk/

Do I need to install the full kernel source (i only have the stripped version installed), edit the makefile, or even something else

Thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by ffi

In my system (which isn't Mandriva) it built fine with only the kernel headers installed, and only python as a dependency... so I guess the stripped version should be enough, unless there's something wrong with the kernel you're using (is it from Thac, or where?).

I guess you tried linking the source directory to /usr/src/linux (or this was done automatically after installing that kernel), right?

In my system (which isn't Mandriva) it built fine with only the kernel headers installed, and only python as a dependency... so I guess the stripped version should be enough, unless there's something wrong with the kernel you're using (is it from Thac, or where?).

I got the kernel(s) from Cooker

I guess you tried linking the source directory to /usr/src/linux (or this was done automatically after installing that kernel), right?

I tried both.

I did some googling it looks like the file Module.symvers is not in the mandriva builds of any kernel anymore, since sometime now. Which makes building kernel modules impossible :( the tar eeven came with a nice .spec file to make an rpm.

I want see if I can build against Ubuntu's 2.6.15 kernel but that wont do anything, I get this error:

make: *** No rule to make target `cdemu.ko', needed by `modules'. Stop.

What the hell do they call their kernel source!?