pcmcia-card configuration

satelliteuser083

I am trying to install a Xircom Ethernet/Modem pcmcia-card into my mva2006 system. In a root-konsole, when I enter:

'cardctl ident', I get:

product info: "Xircom", "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56", "CEM56", "1.00"

manfid: 0x0105, 0x110a

function: 2 (serial)

I've tried to convert this into an approp. form for /etc/pcmcia/config, i.e. into:

card "Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"

version "Xircom", "*", "CEM56"

bind "xirc2ps_cs", "serial_cs"

but I have to admit that I was only guessing (comparing with other Xircom entries), and it doesn't work. At boot the error-message

"interface 'eth1' not found, device eth1 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring" is generated.

BTW, with the Xircom-card in the pcmcia-slot, eth1 (cable-network) fails; with it removed, eth1 works.

Perhaps someone can explain how to convert from the 'cardctl'-output to the required 'config'-entry?

Also, why some cards need 5 lines of data (like the NSC-card below, for example) and others only need three?

card "NSC DP83903-based Ethernet/Modem"

version "Multifunction Card", "LAN and Modem 336", "Multifunction"

manfid 0x0175, 0x0000

cis "cis/DP83903.dat"

bind "pcnet_cs" to 0, "serial_cs" to 1

Many thanks.

Moved to Hardware by Qchem

Thanks Steve, I tried your suggestion, but there's still a problem. There IS an improvement, however, in that eth1 no longer fails with the Xircom-card inserted :)

During the setup-procedure of "Network&Internet/New interface" of MCC, no "/dev/modem" entry appears in the device-list (only ttyS0 to ttyS7); it looks as though the OS fails to recognise the modem-half (it may also fail on the ethernet-half). With my USR-XJ1560 card in the same slot, the OS recognises that and the "/dev/modem" entry is available.

My /dev/pcmcia/config entry now looks like this:

card "Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"

version "Xircom", "*", "CEM56"

manfid: 0x0105, 0x110a

bind "xirc2ps_cs", "serial_cs"

Any further tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

PS: could you tell me the command for listing the system's resource-allocations (am interested in ethx)?