Installing second drive?

Guest fvs

I want to install Mandrake on my second hard drive and I don't know how to?

I have Fedora on my master drive and windows on my slave drive my grub opens with choices of

Fedora 5

Windows XP

I f I pick windows xp it will boot immedately, If I install the mandrake DVD it will boot right into install

mode and will choose my linux partition. Need direction. Thanks

I want to install Mandrake on my second hard drive and I don't know how to?

I use exchangeable caddys. I currently have 4 HDs, one per caddy. On some I have a single installation, on others ( >20GB) I install 2 Distros. So I can have several versions of Mandriva ( 2005 & 2006 at present ), Fedora 4, Suse 10 plus anything else I choose. I am trying to settle on 1 distro (looks like being Mandriva) and will than have several installations. One proper one, one for messing about with, one for development etc. I find this works well. Obviously I could also have one HD for Windows & a version of Linux. In practice I use a different PC for XP. But that is only because things have worked out that way.

I really like the caddy system as I can protect working installations whilst messing around with something new, e.g. Ubuntu, Red Hat, Knoppix....

Hope this is of interest.

What is "exchangeable caddys"? I'm new to this whole linux distro stuff and need to be walked through it. I hardly got the first part of this adventure off, Sorry need I need explicit answers.Thank you. fvs

I believe a caddy is a case the hard disk sits in and allows you to easily remove it from the machine, and insert another caddy. That way you don't have to worry about dual-boot in the traditional sense.

To install Mandriva, you would have to use custom disk partitioning, then you can point it directly to the second hard disk, instead of it detecting the Fedora partitions.

Hi Ianw, The answer I need is "you would have to use custom disk partitioning" How to custom partition?

How is your cadies hooked up to your box? Are they attached to USB ports?

I don't use caddy's, as I just install to my hard disks and dualboot. When you boot the Mandriva installation CD, you will get to a point where you can choose custom disk partitioning. Then you'll be able to place the Mandriva partitions where you like.

fvs:

Sorry, I fell into the same trap that I too dislike, assumptions and too much tehno speak.

Have a look at this site...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/99222

What you will see is a caddy designed for the SATA interface. Ebuyer did have some for IDE drives as well, I bought 6, perhaps they still have some but I didn't spend too much time looking. IDE (also called ATA I think) is the standard interface for hard discs, the more modern one is called SATA, I believe this to be a Serial version of ATA, and faster. Your computer's motherboard has to be able to support SATA for you to use it. Caddys are available for both interfaces, just get the right type.

However, the picture shows a caddy in its outer casing. The outer casing is the size of a 5 1/4" slot (just like the DVD slot) in the front of your machine. Once installed ( very easy ) you can remove the hard disc from your machine by simply pulling it out from the front of your pc (it's in a plastic box), rather like a DVD, provided the power is off that is. If you have 2 or more of the inner casings (which hold the hard disc) you can now simply swap your hard discs around without taking the top of your computer, and whenever you choose.

Before you power up you choose the hard disc you want, insert it into the machine, and switch on the power. The system will boot as normal. When you've finished with that session, power down, put in another caddy, power up and off you go with that system ( presumably a different distro ). So the first time you powered up you could have had a Mandriva system, and on the second time a Fedora 4 distro. If you have big enough hard drives you can even have 2 distros per drive. (maybe more but I don't know about that).

One inner is supplied with each complete Caddy system that you buy. So if you want more that 1 hard disc to be swapped you need to get extra inner sections. The complete caddy was so cheap at Ebuyer that I got 6, so I have plenty of spare inners for my single installed outer. So on my shelf I have a few spare outer casings. They may come in handy 1 day.

There are several manufacturers of these devices, a Google search will probably lead you to the sites. I found Ebuyer to be the best price and way below my local Maplin store, who also stock a range.

Looking at an original box I see that they use...3.5" Internal Mobile HDD Rack...as the description.

Mine came from a company called Safecom and have the Linux logo on them...it gets better!!

Safecom can be found at http:safecom.cn, email support@safecom.cn (none of the refs checked by me)

System requirements Linux 2.4.x or above

I use product code SIHC-35133 (designed for IDE drives)

I trust this explanation helps you a little more than the first one.

Another way to do this "without caddys" is to use a 3rd party partitioner/boot manager!

I have 2hard disks and i'm able to do what you want very simply with such a program..but provided you want to spend some time understanding how a boot manager work. This is not really difficult if you really put in the effort to understand..

Spend some time googling for Partitioners with and/or Boot Managers and see which one will be of best help to you.

For me the best one i found was the free Ranish Partition Manager - RPM This small program is far the BEST one out there for programs of its type and yet it's FREE..

I was like you new to linux..and i was confused about such things..but believe me it's not difficult..just read a bit ;)

You just have to connect your hard drives internally to your IDE cable and then you can view and manipulate each of them through the RPM and select which hard drive you want to use for your job...

This link might be useful:

=> How to use RPM and multi-boot systems

Hope i could help a bit ;)

Cheers!

Edited by wakish