10.1 Upgrade

Guest marcvandyke

Guest marcvandyke

What is the best way to update version 10.1 to the 2006 version? I signed up for MandrivaOnline but got stuck with a bad 'update_source' configuration. Can 10.1 be updated from the 2006 instalation CD/DVD? Or shoudl I stick with MandrivaOnline?

Upgrades are 50/50 between working and being a nightmare. The only time I have successfully used an update is from a beta or release candidate to a final, and thenm only if the beta or RC was working. One should really have a seperate /home and perform an install to get the best system. Theoretically, it should not be so, but practically, it is. I think that there the depends get too layered to function correctly.

Yes, you can upgrade 10.1 from the 2006 CD, however, clean installs are much more preferred.

If you're home directory is on a different partition to the rest of the system, then you can do a clean install, and leave your data in /home unaffected. If you get any problems with apps after this, it's probably due to settings left from the previous version in the config directories in your /home/username directory. They are all hidden, so do:

ls -a

when sat in /home/username to find them, and they will have dots at the beginning, eg .kde will hold config for kde.