A7N8X Deluxe and Mandrake 9.0....Is it possible?

discipledoc

I tried to install mandrake 9.0 on my nForce2 A7N8X-Deluxe board over the weekend with no success. I read all the tips that I could on the matter, and I still could not get it up and running.

Here's the specs:

A7N8X Deluxe motherboard

AMD AthlonXP 2600 (333)

768 MB DDR400 Memory

VisionTek Ti4600 Vid Card

Natural Keyboard Pro

Intellimouse Explorer

(all else is onboard)

The installation went without a hitch, but when I tried the nVidia latest drivers (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.mdk90up_2.4.19_16.athlon.rpm or even NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm) my usb mouse stopped working. I could not use my onboard ethernet cards(neither one), and the NVdriver would not load.

As I said before, I read the tips and trick that was posted as a sticky for red hat, but it did not help me. I would really like to get this working, that way I can do away with my via board forever.

Do anyone have this combination working in unity? If you do, could you help me out by writing a detailed howto?

Thanks for taking out the time to help out a linux nut.

I have an Epox 8RDA+, which is also an NForce2 MB, so it should be similar to yours. Right now I am experimenting with it and having similar problems with yours initially, but mandrake installation in an NForce2 can be done, just hard. Everything right now is working, not perfectly, but working.

This is what I did so far:

1. I downloaded the necessary drivers and software, which are the newest stable kernel, kernel-sources, kernel-doc, NVidia GLX and kernel driver (both source rpms) and NVidia Nforce source rpm

2. I upgraded my kernel to the newest stable one, kernel-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk . I also installed the the kernel sources and kernel doc rpms. There are threads about how to upgrade your kernel in this board.. I suggest you read it carefully.

3. Reboot and boot using linux acpi=off noapic option. To do that, press <Esc> when the lilo boot screen is on, then type

linux acpi=off noapic

in the prompt screen

4. Rebuild the NVidia rpms. rpmbuild --rebuild NVidia-blah-blah-blah.src.rpm

5. I edited my /etc/modules.conf and make sure I commented out all the ALSA stuffs and have these lines in there

alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio

alias /dev/nvidia* NVdriver

alias eth0 nvnet

6. When everything is done, I edited my /etc/lilo.conf and add the "acpi=off noapic" in the "append" line. Then I rerun /sbin/lilo -v

7. Reboot again. Then check whether everything works.

Me, I actually goes beyond these steps because I actually downloaded cooker kernels and cooker rpms.. and lemme tell you.. rebuilding nvidia source rpms in cooker is a hell and a half. But so far after a grueling struggle, everything works.. If you want to do cooker instead.. just tell me. I'll try to remember what I did to make cooker work in Nforce2.

I have an A7N8X-Deluxe board and was able to install and set up Mandrake 9.0 on it. NOTE: I have not tried to update to the newer kernel, this is for the original 9.0 kernel

I am also not a linux pro. This was installed on a new box.

1st downloaded the Mandrake version of the NVIDIA RPM's for both the video card and the nforce2 chip set, and burned them onto a CD

2nd I installed Mandrake 9.0

3rd after installing Mandrake 9.0, install the NVIDIA driver for the nforce chip set using rpm from the command line, not rpmdrake.

4th I installed the NVIDIA graphics card drivers from the command line also

5th I ran XFdrake to set up XFREE86.

6th I set up the network through Mandrake Control Center/Network & Internet/Connection (click on thw wizard button) since it was not set up during installation.

other things to note. For some reason not all of my USB ports work, and from what I have read this is common, so try moving your mouse to a different usb port. The drivers for the 3com card are on the CD that came with the motherboard, I have not installed them yet.

A7N8X-Deluxe

AMD AthlonXP 2100

512 MB DDR333 Memory

EVGA TI4200

I have an A7N8X-Deluxe board and was able to install and set up Mandrake 9.0 on it.  NOTE: I have not tried to update to the newer kernel, this is for the original 9.0 kernel

I am also not a linux pro.  This was installed on a new box.

1st downloaded the Mandrake version of the NVIDIA RPM's for both the video card and the nforce2 chip set, and burned them onto a CD

2nd I installed Mandrake 9.0

3rd after installing Mandrake 9.0, install the NVIDIA driver for the nforce chip set using rpm from the command line, not rpmdrake.

4th I installed the NVIDIA graphics card drivers from the command line also

5th I ran XFdrake to set up XFREE86.

6th I set up the network through Mandrake Control Center/Network &  Internet/Connection  (click on thw wizard button) since it was not set up during installation.

other things to note. For some reason not all of my USB ports work, and from what I have read this is common, so try moving your mouse to a different usb port.  The drivers for the 3com card are on the CD that came with the motherboard, I have not installed them yet. 

A7N8X-Deluxe

AMD AthlonXP 2100 

512 MB DDR333 Memory

EVGA TI4200

Which network port did you use?

Which network port did you use?

I used the NVIDIA port which I think is the lower port ( I am not at my box now). I also just remebered that I may have did a modprobe nvaudio ? to get the sound going.

• 4 weeks later...